View Single Post
Old 11-10-2019, 12:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
Most of my work vehicles are driven short distances and often sit for a day or two between use.

I also like the idea of reduced maintenance. Gasoline and diesel vehicles, no matter the make, are all higher maintenance than my little wife.

I believe there would be a good market for electric drive pickups, both large and small.
So .. how much would you pay (extra) above the gasser for an EV version?

Below are my thoughts, but I'd be interested in yours!

My thoughts are about 33%. Work the numbers however you wish ... the EV may last longer but I'm not sure that you will drive it longer before trading anyway. My fuel costs for 160K km (100K miles) ... with today's fuel costs ... is $16,000 Canadian. The truck cost $50K canadian. It should last me 7 or 8 years before I start putting serious cash into repairs. Assuming some stuff, the electricity should be between $4000 and $5000 for the same distance.

So the real cost of the fuel will be higher as gas prices rise. But electricity will rise as well. I'm calling maintenance $5K for the gas, and maybe $2K for EV .. not as large a difference as the 'fuel'. So I *SHOULD* be OK with paying $64K or $65K for the truck. Maybe up to $75K for the truck (50% more for the sticker price).

Would you pay even more, a premium, to drive electric? Maybe $80K or higher? I think Rivian announce $120K US. Tesla says $50K but we all know that will be, at best, 3 years into production.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thingstodo For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-13-2019), RustyLugNut (11-11-2019), Xist (11-11-2019)