View Single Post
Old 11-11-2019, 10:32 PM   #431 (permalink)
mpg_numbers_guy
Master EcoModder

Toby - '13 Toyota Prius C
90 day: 61.95 mpg (US)

Daz - '15 Mazda 3 iTouring w/ Tech Package
90 day: 38.2 mpg (US)
I used Alla's S-HCR's. Unfortunately when I checked recently they only offer the exact bulbs as 3000K/yellow in the Insight's size. They seem to have come out with newer to replace them. I think they're the same ones that Rainsux or another IC member uses. I suspect my power draw may be slightly higher than yours because they do have fans. If I were to do it again I would probably get passively cooled ones just for reliability and ease of installation. The fans haven't malfunctioned yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Your HID measurements sound exactly like what I found with mine. Supposedly they save energy, but in reality might be a tiny bit more than halogens. Might be 35W at the bulb, but the ballast isn't 100% efficient.

I don't modify the housing, so if a ballast goes, I just throw a halogen in, which I keep as a spare in the glove box.

So far I've found HIDs to work well in projector housings, and LEDs to work well in reflector housings.

My LEDs were very efficient... I'll have to dig it up again, but something like 10w each.
HIDs would be nice, but I'm skeptical about using them without projectors, and I'd rather have the power savings and simplicity of the LEDs. I need to measure the power draw of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
I opted for the brightest (advertised) LEDs I could find which had passive cooling with the smallest COBs, so it would be closer to a point-source. Perhaps there are more efficient LEDs out there, but I don't have time right now to try dozens. Plus, these are interchangeable with my partner's Fit's LEDs. Do you know off-hand which you ordered?
Are they the same LEDs as are on the Fit? How does the light output compare between the two?

2015 Mazda 3 iTouring Hatchback w/ Tech Package (wife's car)
The Following User Says Thank You to mpg_numbers_guy For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-12-2019)