View Single Post
Old 11-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
extra

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingstodo View Post
So .. how much would you pay (extra) above the gasser for an EV version?

Below are my thoughts, but I'd be interested in yours!

My thoughts are about 33%. Work the numbers however you wish ... the EV may last longer but I'm not sure that you will drive it longer before trading anyway. My fuel costs for 160K km (100K miles) ... with today's fuel costs ... is $16,000 Canadian. The truck cost $50K canadian. It should last me 7 or 8 years before I start putting serious cash into repairs. Assuming some stuff, the electricity should be between $4000 and $5000 for the same distance.

So the real cost of the fuel will be higher as gas prices rise. But electricity will rise as well. I'm calling maintenance $5K for the gas, and maybe $2K for EV .. not as large a difference as the 'fuel'. So I *SHOULD* be OK with paying $64K or $65K for the truck. Maybe up to $75K for the truck (50% more for the sticker price).

Would you pay even more, a premium, to drive electric? Maybe $80K or higher? I think Rivian announce $120K US. Tesla says $50K but we all know that will be, at best, 3 years into production.
Looking at the 2012,back-to-back CAR and DRIVER comparison,between a Tesla S and BMW 5-series,the Tesla,while 14.4% more expensive on the front- end,ended up 25.4% cheaper to
'fuel' over the long-term.That's a pretty good parlor trick! And one reason why some nations are bailing from ICE and leap-frogging to EV,at least plug-in hybrids.The business model for 'pistons' looks bleaker every year.ICE cars have great 'battery packs' but their 'motors' really suck! They just can't break free of their 2nd-Law of Thermodynamics prison.
redpoint5 (11-13-2019), Xist (11-20-2019)