View Single Post
Old 11-27-2019, 08:42 PM   #181 (permalink)
All Darc
Banned

Beyond Meat company before their Beyond Burger. Few months ago they launched the 2.0 version of Beyond Burger )1.0 still on market), but in 2015 they hadn't even verson 1.0 but a thing they called Beast Burger :

https://youtu.be/1h75YXWFUrw?t=128

They started with Chicken-Free Strips and Beaf Free Crumble, then launch the Beast Burger, but the true suscess was latter with Beyond Burger.
Their vegan chicken breast strips, made with Missouri University patent for extrusion to mimics chick's breast texture, was the start, but not a hit.

My project update. I found a old ice box machine here in home, but need to glue one blade. It may be of help to make the methylcellulose gel alone, since there are about 3 way to use methylcellulose:
1-One is blend it with all ingredients (cooled ingredients<10*C), starting with a pre mix of the powders (powder proteins starch methylcellulose and condiments) slowly added for last into a mass of textured proteins and oil, and after mix let 2 hours at least on the fridge.
2-The other way it's to make a "powders on gel" of methylcellulose, starting with all powder elements (hydrolised proteins, starchs, condiments) and methylcellulose mixed and in dispersion with oil, followed by cold water, and then, after a gel get formed let 2 hour on fridge, then mix dry textured proteins and now let 24 hour on fridge.
3-The most interesting, you just need to make a dense gel of metytlcellulose and a little of starch (like potato starch), and after ready you can use with different recipes for condiments or different textured proteins. It's not very easy to make the gel, but once made it's easier to make vegan burger paties (at least in theory) by shaping on hands like ground beef paties.

With gel ready I could make beef or chicken or roasted beef vegan burgers, fast, without wait hours and without need to cool all ingredients.

To make a gel methylcellulose needs to be dissolved in hot water and gradually cooled while constant blend/mix slowly it. It would be a problem, but I think I can put it in a ice cream machine in the start, and after a few minutes get only the metalic container of the ice cream machine inside a recipient with cold water, just to cool it slowly, without wet the electric area. I have a recipient that fits well to the metalic container.
After coola bit it could went to fridge, with the ice box machine still gentle mixing it while it get cold.

Here a picture of the icebox model, the same model of the one I have:

But it's a old machine and have a strange noise., I will try to open and see if I can get some fix to make it work better.

The ice cream machine's cable go outside of the fridge, of course, but the ice cream maker get inside.

Last edited by All Darc; 11-27-2019 at 09:37 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-27-2019)