View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 10:02 PM   #7926 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
I learned about the Keeling Curve lately, and I wanted to share it because of a possibility to reduce carbon (for whatever reason, not suggesting it has anything to do with climate change obviously) with help of Mother Nature, none other.

While the Keeling Curve shows a steady increase over the years, it has a strong seasonal fluctuation:

This fluctuation is caused by leaves growing and decaying. During spring and summer trees form leaves and lock carbon from the air into them. During autumn and winter these leaves fall and decay, releasing the carbon again.
As most of the Earths temperate land zones are on the northern hemisphere the carbon variation follows the northern summer and winter pattern, even on the southern hemisphere. Close to forests the variation is biggest, but even on Mauna Loa, far away from the large forests, the pattern is obvious.
The trees absorb so much carbon dioxide that during springtime the levels decline globally.

Now, what if we try to harvest the leaves? Store and dry them in giant silos, maybe heat them without oxygen to separate the hydrogen from the carbon, producing combustible gases while retaining some of the carbon.
If we could indeed capture and process a large volume of leaves then we would be able to compensate for all the carbon we put into the atmosphere. We just need to match fossil fuels carbon wise, say (i guess) a tonne of leaves for every barrel of oil.
We could at least try using leaves rather than oil as a source for carbon based products like plastics.

More info on the Keeling curve: https://scripps.ucsd.edu/programs/keelingcurve/
The commies don't care about CO2.
https://www.greencarcongress.com/201...1126-bnef.html
The communist sycophants on here not long ago told me burning coal was only temporary and that they were going to solar, wind and hydro power everything.
Buring of coal for electricity doesn't look temporary to me. Looks more like a growing institution.
I think people interpreted the 2018 coal reduction as something other than China losing the trade war.
This just shows that nothing any other country does matters at all until the Chinese clean up their power generation.