View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #144 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
A new vehicle never pencils out financially, so the discussion has nothing to do with what is a good financial move.

Solar panel bed cover is retarded. Another gimmick someone that has a hard time spending all their money can purchase.

Why anyone would buy full self drive when it isn't available yet is beyond me. Also, it "locks in" the price, as if in the future technology gets more expensive, which has almost never happened. Why lock in $7k for something that doesn't exist, when in the future the working version will probably be $4k (WAG).

I like the mid-range CyberTruck since it adds more range, AWD, and more towing/power/payload for a $10k price bump.
Yet people buy new vehicles all the time... and if they didn't, no used vehicles would exist. As I stated, there are many things that go in to the decision to buy a new vehicle, if you never buy new, that is your decision for your reasons, but if you do not see that someone else could make a different decision, then no reason to discuss that further.

As for the solar panel over the bed, as it will be mostly in my case (the bed will be empty enough to keep the cover over it most of the time), if it could add even 7 miles a day, that is half my commute. Worth it to me.

My house roof is shaded by trees on both the east and the west, and in winter, to the south (due to the low angle of the sun) for part of the day (in the winter, most of the day), making the analysis of adding solar panels to my roof always come out not cost effective.

The solar panel on the truck when I drive to work I could park it so it would get direct sunlight the entire time I was at work.

Tesla has stated that as their autonomous software starts to roll out more features, they will charge more for it. And given the automotive industry to charge huge amounts for the smallest options ($2,500 for a improved radio, which is kind of a waste for someone like me who used to work on helicopters and doesn't hear well enough to make that additional money worth it), I am not sure if the autonomous features will follow general software pricing. Also that they expect people to use this software option to generate income, I think there is a good chance they will keep the price as high as they can.

I can understand why people do not want to buy full self driving.

As I age and have seen medical issues and/or medicine make driving dangerous, I can foresee a time within this vehicles lifespan that I might be in a condition where having self driving might be handy. Even if it never fully drives from point A to point B, the help it could provide making it safer for all driving and/or cover some of the highway driving would be worth it to me.