View Single Post
Old 12-04-2019, 05:07 PM   #147 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
What is the ROI on $2,500 for 7 miles a day? How does that tiny amount of charge balance with your truck being warmer because you parked it in the sun? How often do you take road trips with four adults and luggage? How often do you drive and need AWD?

Rich people problems...
I am richer than I have been, so maybe? But am I a millionaire? No, I go to work everyday and not only do I depend on my income, but so does several others I help.

The math is kind of easy to work out: Tesla claims 15 miles, but that is probably optimal conditions, and those do not exist, so I will keep my guestimate of 7 miles a day. US average is about 205 days of sun per year. And most solar panels have a life around 25 years, but because it is moving around and on a car, I will give that it won't last as long, so call it 15 years. That is about 21,525 miles (7 * 205 * 15) for $2,500 dollars... so call it $0.116 a mile.

If the option is cheaper than my guess of $2,500 (I picked the largest number I thought is the most they would charge for it), then that looks better. If it lasts longer than 15 years, it gets better. If I occasionally get 10 miles instead of 7, it gets better.

If they charge more than $2,500, I will not get it.

And, there are features that I have wanted and not had and wish I had, like AWD and towing. I prefer to have them when I want and understand I am paying for them and not using them most of the time. Any passenger vehicle is almost always under utilized, even buses are not always filled, etc.

Even my motorcycle, I ride alone so much that it easily rounds to 100%.

Still does not mean I do not want it and am willing to pay for it.

Our Leaf is four doors and is lucky to have two people in it, let alone four.