View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Plasmajab
EcoModding Lurker

Dimples - '07 Ford Ranger Sport
90 day: 18.28 mpg (US)
That would be nice. As much as I love my Fusion Energi, there is a TON of things I dont use on it, or would be happy if it was less. For example:

Radar cruise control
Blind spot monitoring
Puddle lamps
8" screen for infotainment. (A volume control, seek and scan with a small display would be fine)
Automatic dimming rear view and drivers side mirror.
Child minder (Rear seat monitoring system, so I guess you dont forget your kids.)
The app.
4g LTE connectivity.
4 USB Plugs.. (Seriously. 1-2 is fine)
5 Microphones in the headliner, plus the additional one for bluetooth.
Lane assist
Automatic dual zone climate control. Single manual control is ok, yanno.
Blind spot monitoring
Remote start
8 way power driver and passengers seat.

Basically my Ideal fusion would have been:

Hybrid PHEV System.
Power windows/locks/mirrors
Am/FM Radio with an Aux input.
Heated front seats

Thats about it.

The OLD way ford is doing it now, Ford Fusion SE Costs $27,985, and the hybrid was $36,220. Ten grand more for a hybrid? And if you want the PHEV, youre into the SEL Energi at a cost of $38,790. Just going from Gas to a hybrid used to carry a cost of almost 10 grand, because youre going up trim levels to get it.

They have for 2020 released a Fusion Hybrid SE at a more reasonable $31,375. A difference of only $3,390. Could I save that much gas over the lifespan of the car? Totally.

To Compare: A base model Corolla LE is listed for $21,790. Its Hybrid counter part the Corolla Hybrid, is $24,790. So a difference of $4k. This seems reasonable to me because your adding in the hybrid bits. Same car, similar option package, just with the hybrid "stuck" on. Can I make up for the $5k savings in gas over the vehicles life? Probably.

That makes the cost difference between the Corolla LE and the Corolla Hybrid an easier pill to swallow.

Perhaps a better example would be when I bought my ranger. I wanted a base model extended cab, 2wd, with a locking rear differential. The only way I could get that locking rear differential was to go up to the FX4 Level II package, which would have added tend grand because it added in the automatic, the bigger 4.0 V6, six disc changer and air conditioning. All I wanted was a $500 locking differential.

Another good example was when I bought my Micra. I wanted a base model with automatic so my wife could drive it. Thats it. Thats the option I wanted. But in order to get the auto, you had to get air conditioning. I didn't want air. Too bad, you're getting it. It was a 3 grand package. But I made note.. Base micras cost $10,598, but if you fully spec them out- $19,989.. That is over $9,000 in options. The power train doesn't change. The mechanics of the car doesn't either. Its literally bling you can toss into the cabin.