View Single Post
Old 12-11-2019, 02:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I've never understood why anyone buys a car off a dealer lot. What are the chances that the car on the lot is exactly the way you wanted it? If you complain that the car is not the color you wanted, or it has cloth seats and you wanted leather, the dealer will tell you it's no problem to get it painted or swap the seats out with leather for an extraordinary price. My guess is 98% of people get suckered into driving off the lot with a car that isn't exactly the way they would have wanted it, even though every manufacturer has "build your vehicle" options online.

Isn't the whole point of buying new to get exactly what you wanted?

All that said, À la carte is precisely how almost every vehicle should be offered. Why should we buy what happens to be on some slimeball's lot when the exact vehicle you want is technically possible to build?

Why does adding heated steering mean I have to also add the "driver's confidence package II", and "chrome accented door handles", and "19" alloy wheels"?

Some manufacturer will unlock the À la carte option, and every other manufacturer will have to adopt it or die.

As an aside rant; my least favorite option is electric seats with no memory function. Why would I want to pay more for seats that slow as molasses to adjust and failure prone? The best thing about manual seats is a full recline can be achieved in less than 1 second. The absolute only reason for electric seats to exist at all is the memory function. Having the car adjust automatically to the driver is a great idea.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!