View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Why should I have to pay 10 years of gas tax on my car?
But potentially millions of “rich” $64,000 a year folks get a $7500 a car payoff due to the bill in the republican senate?

Why should a doctors derelict rice farm he uses for hunting land get him an annual $50,000 government payoff while a small dairy farm pays tax penalties ?

Since the payoff is guaranteed anyway shouldn’t it be used for its intended purpose, instead of in a completely ineffective way in an area that won’t use or need it?
What do you mean by the payoff being guaranteed? Any subsidy can be revoked at any time, and just because we made a mistake earlier subsidizing something doesn't mean we need to double down on our mistakes. Even better would be to cut the losses by eliminating the subsidies.

I'm a huge fan of EVs, which is why I'm completely against subsidies for them. It would be like being a Usain Bolt fan, but insisting he start every race with a 10ft head start on everyone else. If something is better, then it's better and needs no "help". Further, if we're going to take taxpayer money, the benefit needs to be quantified along with the cost. So, how many extra EVs do we have on the road due to the subsidy, and how many seconds did it forestall global warming? I guarantee that study wasn't done, because this is about politics, not about effectiveness.

Fire all the politicians and give then a couple nights in jail to think about what they've done. There will be some good ones in there, but they are guilty by association.

Your point about $7,500 tax benefit to the wealthy is exactly the kind of corruption I'm talking about. While I'm undecided on progressive taxation, I'm certainly firmly against regressive tax policy, and this is the very definition of regressive; a benefit only those with $7,500 in tax liability who are buying a new expensive car can take advantage of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Increasing the 200,000 cap on EV tax credits didn't make it into the omnibus bill.
Omnibus bill; another thing that should be illegal. Even suggesting 1 more thing be added to a bill should earn a politician a night in jail.

The seeds of the undoing of the United States are planted, and it will be a long slow decline.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!