View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 03:46 PM   #286 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
From what I've read on EV forums, and in consideration of the physics at play, there's nearly no loss in range due to weight or gaining elevation, assuming the start and finish elevation are the same.

The extra power required to climb a grade is reclaimed when descending back down. Any excess speed that would otherwise be wasted in an ICE vehicle is instead recaptured at fairly high rates of efficiency.

Same with weight. Once the extra power is expended to bring it up to speed, no extra power is required, and it gets mostly recovered by regen when slowing back down.

Aerodynamics is nearly everything in an EV. That's what consumes the energy.

I expect Hersbird is correct about 1/3 the range when pulling something very aerodynamically dirty. The weight won't matter so much; only the shape.

The other range killer is cold temperatures. Some people see only 50-60% of their summertime range in the winter. Combine cold temps with a large trailer, and people could see 25% of the range they would otherwise get with no trailer in the summer.

All that said, I'd never intend to use an EV for long distance travel in the first place, so it's all moot for me. ICE is the appropriate tool for the long distance job for now. If I were a contractor needing a truck for local jobs, the CT would be a serious consideration for me.
One website discussing Cybertruck gave it a cold weather rating of 485-miles City/335-miles HWY.
CAR and DRIVER reported that,in 1000-miles of mixed winter driving,their 2015 Ford F-150 SuperCab 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 was averaging 16-mpg,compared to its EPA 18/23 mpg rating.EPA considers 75-F 'cold' as far as tires go,so rolling resistance is definitely impacted.Air density/aero.Lubricant viscosity and power-train drag.
What really kills ICE vehicles is traffic congestion,and wrecks.For the national aggregate fleet,American cars are only averaging 17-mpg. CVTs and 10-speed transmissions,stop-start,are helping,but stop-and -go has gotta go!