View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Yep, pros and cons to everything. There's probably a reason why the Rivian will cost more. As I said, the medium range CT probably fulfills the majority of my need/want list in a vehicle. I could get an extra motor and range, but I don't think it would be that useful to me. Likewise, I don't think I'd have much use for the extra capability of the Rivian, though I can certainly see the appeal. I've had to back down trails 1/3 mile or so before due to not having enough room to turn around, and maybe being able to turn in place would solve that problem.

One thing I would appreciate about true independent 4-wheel drive is that normal road tires then become more useful in low traction situations. I had highway tires on the truck when I bought it and found that if the field grass was wet, I couldn't get enough traction even in 4-low to go up gentle grades. That was one reason I bought the on/off road tires; so I wouldn't have to pull the truck out of the field with an ATV when it rains.

Perhaps with true 4 wheel drive, some fuel electricity efficient highway tires could still be adequate for light off-roading.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!