View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #96 (permalink)
EcoCivic
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
For those that don't know, it is common for car manufacturers to over inflate tires (that is, inflate to more than the vehicle tire placard specifies) in order to prevent tire flatspots while the vehicle sits unsold. 50 psi is a common value.

The tire pressure is supposed to be adjusted during the preprep (that is, final prep before the car is delivered to the customer) , but it is also common for all the preprep work to be done shortly after the car arrives at the dealership, but BEFORE it is sold, EXCEPT for adjusting the tire pressures, which is supposed to be done when the car is handed over to the consumer after the sale - and again, that adjustment frequently gets overlooked and many cars are delivered with the storage pressure in the tires.

So I wouldn't make too much out of a demonstration vehicle's tires being inflated to 50 psi.
I have heard that and it makes sense, but I have also heard the opposite that some car dealers underinflate the tires a bit so the car rides smoother during the test drive. I guess it depends on the dealer.