Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2017, 04:40 AM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo View Post
Your just not cornering hard enough.
Hahaha... that was me back in the day.

I had Advan Neovas on my street car.

Even at just 32-35 psi, I got mad center wear... unless I drove it like I stole it around every corner or did a few track days.

But that was an oddball tire. Very sticky, very soft tread... and very wide with ultra-stiff sidewalls.

-

On my current vehicles, I'm running high profile tires, and despite constantly running mid-40's to 50 psi (on cars with a 32-35 psi door sticker), I'm getting pretty ecen wear.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niky View Post
that was me back in the day.
Once went through a set of tires in 1500 miles.

There are some point that should be brought in to this discussion. Tire wear is not just about tire pressure. Suspension, layout (FWD, RWD, etc), pickup verse sedan and driving habits just to mention a few all contribute to how tires wear.

I,m old school, use a depth gauge to judge wear and usually start at 2 to 4 psi over placard.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
ScanGauge <3

Just for the record, I'm not saying that overinflated radials can't/don't wear in the center, it's just more situational, like Barry and others have said. (There are plenty of cases where tires wore out the shoulders at placard pressure, too.)

I feel like there's a lot of received wisdom from the bias-ply days that's still informing some people's thoughts on tire pressure. Those absolutely would wear out funny if you didn't keep the pressures in the sweet spot!

Best tank (so far): 32 MPG
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThermionicScott For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (08-24-2017), RedDevil (08-23-2017)
Old 01-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Tesla S/3/X PSI

FYI
FWIW

I had the opportunity to drive Tesla X just yesterday an notice that all four tires where running at 50 psi and this was shown on the vehicle's multimedia panel
Old 01-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #95 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCotton View Post
FYI
FWIW

I had the opportunity to drive Tesla X just yesterday an notice that all four tires where running at 50 psi and this was shown on the vehicle's multimedia panel
For those that don't know, it is common for car manufacturers to over inflate tires (that is, inflate to more than the vehicle tire placard specifies) in order to prevent tire flatspots while the vehicle sits unsold. 50 psi is a common value.

The tire pressure is supposed to be adjusted during the preprep (that is, final prep before the car is delivered to the customer) , but it is also common for all the preprep work to be done shortly after the car arrives at the dealership, but BEFORE it is sold, EXCEPT for adjusting the tire pressures, which is supposed to be done when the car is handed over to the consumer after the sale - and again, that adjustment frequently gets overlooked and many cars are delivered with the storage pressure in the tires.

So I wouldn't make too much out of a demonstration vehicle's tires being inflated to 50 psi.

Visit my website: www.BarrysTireTech.com
New Content every month!
The Following User Says Thank You to CapriRacer For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (01-02-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
For those that don't know, it is common for car manufacturers to over inflate tires (that is, inflate to more than the vehicle tire placard specifies) in order to prevent tire flatspots while the vehicle sits unsold. 50 psi is a common value.

The tire pressure is supposed to be adjusted during the preprep (that is, final prep before the car is delivered to the customer) , but it is also common for all the preprep work to be done shortly after the car arrives at the dealership, but BEFORE it is sold, EXCEPT for adjusting the tire pressures, which is supposed to be done when the car is handed over to the consumer after the sale - and again, that adjustment frequently gets overlooked and many cars are delivered with the storage pressure in the tires.

So I wouldn't make too much out of a demonstration vehicle's tires being inflated to 50 psi.
I have heard that and it makes sense, but I have also heard the opposite that some car dealers underinflate the tires a bit so the car rides smoother during the test drive. I guess it depends on the dealer.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #97 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

PLEASE DO NOT PARA PHRASE .. PARTIALLY QUOTE AND MIS CONTEXT ANY OF MY STATEMENTS (NOW)(OR IN THE FUTURE)..

If you need to bolster your own personal statements and make a point of creditability please do that with your own merits and background statements please do not twist and take out of context mine.

Paraphrasing is for the Internet lazy generation and Smart As s Phone owners who take partial understanding and partial time and partial comprehension of reality.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:49 AM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
FWIW, Tesla recommends 40 or 42 PSI for the model X depending on sidewall height.
https://www.puretyre.co.uk/tyre-info...yre-pressures/
So 50 seems quite high, but is not that far off what's recommended.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #99 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
That escalated quickly.

TexasCotton, was this a dealer/demo car or a personal vehicle?
Old 01-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #100 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a 2013 CMAX Hybrid with 246k miles with Michelin Energy Savers and I used 50 psi pretty much from the beginning. I have gotten up to 95k miles on the tires, door sticker is 38 psi and MAX is 51 psi. I have been averaging about 52 mpg for the last three years. I talked to Michelin Rep and he said he didn't have a problem with using 50 psi If I was getting even tire wear. Apparently the tires can take up to 200 psi.

Paul

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ptjones For This Useful Post:
EcoCivic (01-03-2020), RedDevil (01-05-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread