View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 01:59 PM   #71 (permalink)
ldjessee00
EcoModding Apprentice

The Leaf - '17 Nissan Leaf SL

Outback - '16 Subaru Outback

Vaquero - '20 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
How are countries like Congo going to develop if we're going to place a social embargo on them by not buying their cobalt?

That's the story of every developing nation; that their cheap labor brings investments to their country and they use that to grow.

As an aside, there is a direct relationship between fossil fuel consumption and wealth. If we're talking about Congo growing economically, we're talking about growing their oil consumption for the foreseeable future.
Well, when they prove they stopped using child labor, like companies are doing to Chinese factories.

I hope that the economic success does not equal petroleum consumption going forward. Just like some countries never had a wide spread wired phone system, but instead jumped straight to cell phones, I hope that countries can jump over the older technologies and go straight to the newer ones...

But another source for CO2, concrete, I do not see how to avoid when an economy booms. As buildings, roads, bridges, and many things that are currently built with concrete I am not aware of another technology to replace it.

Sure, for some things, in some environments, rammed earth bricks will probably work fine for building... but not sure how else to fill all those other use cases.

The Following User Says Thank You to ldjessee00 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-13-2020)