View Single Post
Old 01-13-2020, 02:43 PM   #73 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
Well, when they prove they stopped using child labor, like companies are doing to Chinese factories.

I hope that the economic success does not equal petroleum consumption going forward. Just like some countries never had a wide spread wired phone system, but instead jumped straight to cell phones, I hope that countries can jump over the older technologies and go straight to the newer ones...

But another source for CO2, concrete, I do not see how to avoid when an economy booms. As buildings, roads, bridges, and many things that are currently built with concrete I am not aware of another technology to replace it.

Sure, for some things, in some environments, rammed earth bricks will probably work fine for building... but not sure how else to fill all those other use cases.
There's nothing intrinsically wrong with children working... it's the dangerous working conditions or trading long term benefits like education for short term ones like cash now, that are the issue. Unfortunately Congo needs the cash now more than it needs to know trigonometry. It may even need the cash more than it needs working conditions we would perceive as acceptable. Things like education and better working conditions are luxuries to pursue once you've solved how you're going to eat in the short to medium term, and how to keep a roof over your head.

In my utopia, we'd send over civil and environmental engineers to plan resource extraction, and we'd send over healthcare and OSHA professionals to minimize undue suffering, but the fact is that Congo is an independent nation, and we don't have the authority to dictate minimum health, wage, and working conditions. They are responsible for that. Despite their suboptimal situation (to put it lightly), they still benefit more by selling the fruits of their labor than if there was no market for it.

I wish GDP and CO2 production were not tightly linked, and I expect that to slowly decouple over time, but we're just not there yet. My best guess as to the next 50 years involves an expansion of nuclear power. The philanthropist Bill Gates is pursuing that, and he's no dummy.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 01-13-2020 at 05:56 PM..