View Single Post
Old 01-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
"I want to tinker with my Mercedes Sprinter to improve MPG."--friend

My friend, who totally exists, but you wouldn't know him, he attends another high school, works in Germany on U.S. military bases, so he gets American fuel prices in Germany.

America!

Quote:
[M]y 1999 VW Golf does ~9L/100km, and my 2003 Mercedes-Benz Sprinter (14 seats) does ~11.6L/100km

I'm pretty happy about that

...though I think I could probably squeeze more fuel economy out of the VW with a little more tinkering.
So, of course I asked "Have you considered covering the grill with Gorilla Tape?! " I then linked the 65+ Efficiency Mods and 100+ Hypermiling Tips.

Quote:
The kind of tinkering I'm considering is using a fuel injector cleaning solution or something - I have to research it first, but it's been on my mind.

When we bought the car, it got ~8L/100km.

I started using the US fuel with ethanol, and the fuel economy dropped. I've switched back, but the fuel economy hasn't rebounded yet

I'm worried I've gummed up the engine with the nasty ethanol residue...

Have you read anything about how to recover after corn-fed fuel?
It seems like everyone who tries ethanol-free fuel notices an instant improvement.

Quote:
The difference was pretty mild - an increase in economy of about 2% or so, if that. Pretty small change after switching back. Very little improvement, within the margin of error.

Went from ~9.3 to ~9.1. Was hoping to get back to 7.9 or 8.1 range
Do you guys have any idea what went wrong with his A-B-A testing? Do you have any easy ecomods for the Sprinter (besides driving the Golf when possible)?

Last edited by Xist; 01-16-2020 at 10:51 AM..