View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You can now buy custom-manufactured tiny homes--in some parts of L.A. City

[The video says area code. That can't be right!]

I didn't realize how restrictive and expensive it was, but $52,000 for a modern 85-square-foot tiny studio [without a bathroom] is probably an awesome deal in that area, although it is smaller than my bedroom.

They have a database of each ZIP in L.A. and the specific regulations. They automatically build according to those rules. It took a while to find an address that the site would accept. I do not know whose it is, if there is a problem with me posting a random address I will take it down, but I just want people to see exactly what I see: 427 W 91st Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90003

Go to https://www.cover.build, give it a valid address within L.A., and it will show the outline of the property. This one apparently had a shed in the back. I said that I wanted to keep it and to put in a tiny home with a bathroom. They said there wasn't enough room without taking out the shed and I did not feel like finding a house with a bigger backyard, so I agreed when it offered to show me what it could do.

Again, eighty-five square feet for $52,000. It says the permits would be $5,000, and they cannot determine how much for the sitework (including assembly).

Ah. They show three options for that backyard and the third is a 115-square-foot studio for $59,200, plus $4,700 in permits.

I have looked into tiny houses before, but just having an office in the backyard where I can write reports and do schoolwork without hearing Mom's Hallmark movies would be great.

That reminds me, where are my noise-canceling headphones?

By the way, I applied to grad school last night. I made the deadline by one minute. I did not put off anything, I had strep and then the flu. Then I did not feel that I could ask my supervisors for letters of recommendation until I wrote my forty or so reports. As soon as I finished those I started applying.

The complication is that I did not realize that I would need to submit my employment contract until after office hours, and neither I nor my supervisor realized that was available on-line. I submitted screenshots of the app that we use to clock in and out. It shows my job title and my timesheets. I did not know what else to do.

That took way too long and then, having proofread my essay several times in a row without thinking of any way to improve it, I made about ten changes.

I guess the screenshots are good enough for now, but I sent them my contract this morning. Someone e-mailed me and said that I would need to send them my contact if I get in. I later received an e-mail from someone else saying I need a letter from H.R. saying that I am contracted for 20 hours.

Apparently I am supposed to receive four hours of pay for every national holiday and retirement. I do not know how much that would be, but it is something!

So, I guess that I will find out about grad school in about six weeks. It is weird to be able to work on normal projects and not go from one emergency to a deadline, etc.