Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
You can now buy custom-manufactured tiny homes--in some parts of L.A. City

[The video says area code. That can't be right!]

I didn't realize how restrictive and expensive it was, but $52,000 for a modern 85-square-foot tiny studio [without a bathroom] is probably an awesome deal in that area, although it is smaller than my bedroom.

They have a database of each ZIP in L.A. and the specific regulations. They automatically build according to those rules. It took a while to find an address that the site would accept. I do not know whose it is, if there is a problem with me posting a random address I will take it down, but I just want people to see exactly what I see: 427 W 91st Pl, Los Angeles, CA 90003

Go to https://www.cover.build, give it a valid address within L.A., and it will show the outline of the property. This one apparently had a shed in the back. I said that I wanted to keep it and to put in a tiny home with a bathroom. They said there wasn't enough room without taking out the shed and I did not feel like finding a house with a bigger backyard, so I agreed when it offered to show me what it could do.

Again, eighty-five square feet for $52,000. It says the permits would be $5,000, and they cannot determine how much for the sitework (including assembly).

Ah. They show three options for that backyard and the third is a 115-square-foot studio for $59,200, plus $4,700 in permits.

I have looked into tiny houses before, but just having an office in the backyard where I can write reports and do schoolwork without hearing Mom's Hallmark movies would be great.

That reminds me, where are my noise-canceling headphones?

By the way, I applied to grad school last night. I made the deadline by one minute. I did not put off anything, I had strep and then the flu. Then I did not feel that I could ask my supervisors for letters of recommendation until I wrote my forty or so reports. As soon as I finished those I started applying.

The complication is that I did not realize that I would need to submit my employment contract until after office hours, and neither I nor my supervisor realized that was available on-line. I submitted screenshots of the app that we use to clock in and out. It shows my job title and my timesheets. I did not know what else to do.

That took way too long and then, having proofread my essay several times in a row without thinking of any way to improve it, I made about ten changes.

I guess the screenshots are good enough for now, but I sent them my contract this morning. Someone e-mailed me and said that I would need to send them my contact if I get in. I later received an e-mail from someone else saying I need a letter from H.R. saying that I am contracted for 20 hours.

Apparently I am supposed to receive four hours of pay for every national holiday and retirement. I do not know how much that would be, but it is something!

So, I guess that I will find out about grad school in about six weeks. It is weird to be able to work on normal projects and not go from one emergency to a deadline, etc.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
I didn't realize how restrictive and expensive it was, but $52,000 for a modern 85-square-foot tiny studio [without a bathroom] is probably an awesome deal in that area, although it is smaller than my bedroom.
It doesn't sound awesome to me because it is in Southern California. A failed state.

It also doesn't sound awesome because it twice as expensive as it needs to be. Compare Summit Structures of Oregon. Seismic requirements can't be any worse than the Oregon coast. They quote (for my ZIP area) $20K for a 240sq ft tiny house shell, delivered, with warranty. Add $1K for Ikea cabinets and $4K for appliances and a mini-split heat pump.

Is graduate school in LA or somethin'?

Old 01-18-2020, 02:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebeard View Post
It doesn't sound awesome to me because it is in Southern California. A failed state.
Like Iraq?!

All that I see on their website are sheds, barns, and garages.

These tiny houses are fancy and stuff.

Quote:
When you picture your tiny dream home on wheels, is it tricked out with granite countertops, high-end appliances, and perhaps a posh hot tub? Then expect to pay $150,000 or more for a luxury dwelling that's less than 400 square feet.
https://www.thespruce.com/how-much-d...e-cost-4139914

I applied to Northern Arizona University's summers-only program. It takes an extra year, but it is easier to get in, I would be in lovely Flagstaff in the summer, but not the winter, nor the rest of the year.

I am sure that I would quickly tire of the hippies.

For a couple of years, the lowest pay that I ever saw for a school SLPA was in Flagstaff--$13.50 an hour for a college graduate.

It went quickly.

The other day I found a position in Marana, a little north of Tucson, that only offered $12.58, and there was not any indication that there would be extra pay for experience.

The minimum wage is $12 hourly in Arizona.

The sales tax in Flagstaff is 9.18%. Fort Mohave (wherever that is) has one of the lowest sales taxes in the state, 5.6%. It is 11.2% in Superior. Page is 9.9%.

My brother's SLPA is finishing that program. She says to expect to pay $750 a month in rent. Curiously, she lives in an ambulance, but she and her husband are looking at 3,000+-square-foot homes on at least an acre.

Weird how she would be able to park her old house in the garage of her new house.

I lived in various tents and shacks for a year in Afghanistan. I would probably spend most of my time in the library. I told the other SLPA that I could buy an old van for $1,500. She said that I could stay in a campground.

There are several near NAU!

So many complications. First of all, I need to get in, and they may want me to retake some or several classes first. Second, here is a 2002 Odyssey with 250,000 miles and a parasitic drain.
Allegedly everything else is fine, but they want $500:
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/c...053588374.html

Here is a 2005 Corolla with a manual transmission for "$1,395" at that lame dealership that had some 300,000-mile Prii.

It is entirely possible they want $500 in fees and I would want to have a mechanic check it out somehow. Someone told me her dad is a mechanic, he found all kinds of problems with a car from that place, and the dealer tried to get him to lie and say that everything was fine: https://showlow.craigslist.org/ctd/d...051046088.html

They also have a 2009 Corolla with a manual for "$1,995:" https://accushineautosales.com/inven...oyota-corolla/

Then there is that parts Accord...

Last edited by Xist; 01-18-2020 at 03:42 AM..
Old 01-18-2020, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
All that I see on their website are sheds, barns, and garages.

These tiny houses are fancy and stuff.
I talked directly to their salesperson. A comparable shed (minus insulation, sheetrock and vinyl door/window frames) is $8K (in this ZIP).

Fancy is a thin coating on a similar stick-built code-compliant structure. The other problem is the sales area. Summit Structures use Pine Hill deliver trailers made in Gordonville, PA. They might know about manufacturers in the Southern tier of states.
Quote:
Curiously, she lives in an ambulance...
Is it a Neil Young ambulance or a Mother, Jugs and Speed ambulance?

Old 01-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Not Doug

Does anyone understand freebeard's references?!
Old 01-18-2020, 01:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sorry, I searched on 'Neil Young ambulance' and all the hits were to a song called Ambulance Blues. He lived in an old Cadillac or something when he moved from Canada to LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Mother, Jugs & Speed
Mother, Jugs & Speed is a 1976 American black comedy film directed by Peter Yates. It stars Bill Cosby, Raquel Welch, Harvey Keitel, and Larry Hagman as employees of an independent ambulance service trying to survive in Los Angeles.

I always remember that ambulance because it had massive anti-roll bars and cornered as flat as a sports car while everything else was wallowing around. Prolly why I put sway bars on my panel van.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (01-18-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread