View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #382 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
cost to paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I have trouble buying the paint process is all that expensive. It really doesn't cost more to paint a $12,000 car vs a $60,000 car yet a $60,000 car easily could have a $12,000 powertrain in it. If the paint process costs more than the powertrain on said car then painting a $12,000 car would cost more than $12,000.

Also if say $5-10k could be saved per car by not painting somebody would have done that in large numbers long ago. Also even with say stainless steel, some of those corrosion steps are still going to be needed as stainless isn't corrosion proof on it's own and what about all the metal under the stainless, is it also stainless? Just the material cost of using stainless rather than mild steel is going to be similar to the painting cost IMO. It's a wash.
When that article was published,the average new car price was $17,000.Painting costs shared would be germane to that price point at the time.
The Hyundai TV program may have originally aired around 2009 or so.When they throw Roman Numerals around in the end credits,it's a nightmare dating a program.
Junior's Color Service,in Southern California, used to charge $50,000 for a hand-rubbed lacquer paint job,including body straightening.I have no idea what high-end products incorporate into their offerings.I can't afford the trade rags anymore.