View Single Post
Old 01-20-2020, 12:20 AM   #8206 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
As a Millennial, my youth was spent trading privacy for convenience and entertainment. So far that hasn't come back to bite me, and perhaps I have a false sense that openness is worth the risk. That said, our safety from the government isn't in their ignorance, but in citizens setting boundaries on authority (your comment about constraining government).

I had a 23andme kit that I sat on for a year because I was very uneasy about the potential for misuse. Who knows what genes could be found that are correlated with this or that behavior. The government would be very tempted to utilize that knowledge to take preemptive measures. The other thing I have a problem with is paying to give my data to someone. It's of such value that they should be paying me for it (that's what I thought of the SAT, so I didn't take it). The government already has my DNA though, so that's a moot point for me particularly, and I'm for the advancement of science, even if that comes about as profit for a business.

My safety does not primarily come about by my ability to retain secrets; it mostly is secured by a society and government that does not abide in evil.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!