View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 10:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asciutto View Post
Thanks again all!

I'm squarely in the Ioniq PHEV camp now. Only down side is there isn't a single 2020 (or 2019) PHEV available to test drive! Closest I've found is nearly 400 miles away. I reached out to a local dealer so hopefully they can procure one. They've got a hybrid on the lot but I imagine comparing an HEV to a PHEV is not really apples to apples.

A couple more questions for you all:
  • Is there a good resource for info on the included chargers with the Ioniq PHEV? The only info I've found is that the Level 1 charger is 120V, 12A, 15-5P style connector, and IP55 rated. Nothing about the Level 2 other than I assume it is 240V!
  • How does the internal kWh readout on the dash function? Is it lifetime? Or can it be reset every time I fill-up so per-tank kWh usage is tracked?
The actual charger is internal to the car. The charger in the Ioniq is 3.3 kW and is the limiting factor.

The car will come with a Level 1 110V ICCB which is basically a fancy extension cord. 110V x 12A = 1.3 kW. It will take about 9 hours to charge your battery.

You can buy a 220v Level 2 home charger from a bunch of different suppliers. They range from 16 amp - 80 amp. The 32 amp charger on a 40 amp circuit seems to be the most popular. Since the internal charger on your Ioniq is only 3.3 kW even a 16 amp charger will max out your charge rate and charge your battery in 2 1/4 hours.

Most of the public Level 2 chargers you will find will be 7 kW because most EVs have a 6.6 kW internal charger.

The 2016 Spark EV I had also had a 3.3 kW charger. It worked fine for me as I could plug in when I got home and let the car charge overnight. Speed wasn't an issue. The kWh readout on my car could be reset and I reset it and recorded the average miles / kWh every 500 miles.

Last edited by JSH; 01-23-2020 at 11:05 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
asciutto (01-24-2020)