View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
racprops
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlington View Post
All noted and very true what you are saying .

I was not happy with the recent tank having 15,8 l /100 km - had heart failure when I filled up .

With this I took the decision to roll back .

1-Removed direct Cone filter - back to airbox.

As a old timer I saw racers adding large hoses to their air filters and running them to the front and removing the high beam head lights to get fresh COLD air into the engines. Modern air boxes do that, those so called cold air filters allow the engine to breath under the hood hot air. The old idea of hot air burning fuel better may work with carbs but with injection it does not seem to work...cold air makes more HP and power seems to help MPG.

2-Undid the PCV delete and filters, back to standard PCV workings.
3-Removed O2 efie as batteries were soft

Here is one thing I learned you want to control the O2 BEHIND the cat...it controls fuel more that the first O2 sensor...

4-Removed fuel heater .(cause of the high fuel use without ECU compensation .)

Hot fuel is suppose to vaporize better...I would revisit that.

What I did find in my recent investigation with a CRP 123 monitoring the pulse length is that the increase in pulse lengths with different loads on engine at idle .
This included aircon
drive lights
fog lights and
bright lights .

Interesting how the pulse length increases as the load on the engine is increased .

On my vehicle with no - load in neutral the pulse length remains constant through the rpm range up to 3000rpm .
Loads play the important part of the whole fuel economy issue .

Without my being able to re-map , I have been trying to curve something is not possible .
My last 6,58 l /100 km was highway driving using 15-16 :1 AFR by manually adjusting the MAP offset .

Back to drawing board .
I was unable to cause any real change with my MAF system controller.

I was able to see what 16.4 would do by a laptop and a device by Zentronics which gave a Air /Fuel ratio readout and included a adjustment to change the A/F ratios. But as it took a number of mouse clicks for the two banks it was not something I wanted or could use daily.

Look up highway model pertaining to the 85 to 90s Camaros at https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/

That was where I found out about this hidden feature in their TPI PCMs...when turned the got 30 to 35 MPG highway, VS stock's 20/25...

Program faded in when condition's was good: light throttle and low load and would fad out when the above changed, with no bumps or feeling..smoothly.

I will be running such a system on my 383 in my van.

Another one I want to try is adding more EGR gasses, to A) reburn what was not burned the first time though the engine and as a way to displace incoming air and fuel and to lower chamber temps when running lean burns.

One last word of advice: Do only one change at a time and test and test it to be sure it helped.

Then do the next and test and test to see if it helped more or took away.

And so on with each idea.

Good luck.

Rich