View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'd have to do the research (google) because I don't know the proportion of CO2 vs CO with/without a cat.

That said, my hunch is that the difference is negligible, and it would be better to produce CO2 than CO, even if it's a stronger greenhouse gas.

The main byproduct of combustion is water, though.
I don't know it either, and a few searches took me down CAT marketing pathways and old science justifying CATs, or else descriptions of how commercial CATs operate. What I failed to find was info answering my questions. To be clear, I am not interested in deleting my CAT. I am actually interested in adding one instead of a muffler. I want my car to puff pure CO2 and O2 when it runs... and I daydream about all wheel drive via rear electric hub motoers integrated with the throttle and gear shifter somehow (I lack the knowledge and experience). A parallel DIY hybrid... in EV mode it would be "greenest." ...
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.