View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 03:16 PM   #65 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
This much detail requires more organization to be easily readable/understandable.
What do you recommend?

Quote:
This deserves it's own thread...
Huh. I should probably improve it first.

Quote:
I thought you had gone massively OT after reading Xist's post, then I looked at the thread title.
I once found a national database of home improvements and the best ROI was a modern and attractive steel front door. It had a 99% ROI. It only got worse from there. I could not find that quickly. The first Google result was Zillow, which I did not feel was necessarily a good source. The second was Architecture Digest, which quoted Zillow.

They did a countdown, but I will get to the point:
  1. Midrange bathroom remodel. 171%. Let me post pictures of our bathrooms and you will agree.
  2. Mid-range window replacement: 115%. While Meet Kevin promotes fixing up homes, he says that many people overimprove and never recover their money. He specifically says that if the windows work, they are good enough.
  3. Family room addition: 107%. Would I get out of redoing the window trim?
  4. Story addition: 102%. This may cost $50,000, but you will probably break even.
https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/home-improvement-projects-ranked-return-on-investment

I like the bathroom remodel, but spend money so that Mom needs to pay more real estate tax [only if we have the house assessed]?

By the way, I just noticed the fast-forward icon next to the "[quote]" part. Nice!