View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why would you not?

Maybe that's why? All the 'mobile homes' around me have a structure like a carport roof over them, being RVs. Could the 'ground mount' be on 12ft columns?

edit:
FYI —Tesla have conventional panels as well as the glass roof tiles:

Tesla Solarglass V3 Efficiency Revealed

TLDR:
Good point, I'll get a quote from Tesla. Their normal PV panels have a $100 refundable deposit. The Solarglass has a $100 non-refundable deposit.

What would be the advantage of placing the ground mount 12' up? The appeal of ground mount is ease of maintenance and seasonal adjustment.

Regarding Solarglass, I'm interested because it also replaces the roof, so the cost of a conventional roof needs to be factored into the price. I'd be willing to pay a bit extra too if Solarglass roofing will hold up a substantial amount better than asphalt shingle. It's unclear to me how the roof is waterproof, because the glass panels don't appear to overlap on the sides, and they sit on plastic standoffs that appear to be nailed to the sheathing. I'd be concerned with the longevity of the plastic standoffs considering the heat they would be subject to.

EDIT:

Perhaps the edges have a trough that catches water and sends it to the top of the panel below it.

Not sure what the carport roof comment is. The manufactured home my parents bought had a carport, but we didn't assemble it when moved to their property because they wanted a garage.

Mobile homes aren't RVs. They are traditional stick-built structures built in a factory rather than on site. They are assembled on site and usually never move again.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	House.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	27570  

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-23-2020 at 05:51 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (02-14-2020)