View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 10:52 PM   #16 (permalink)
hayden55
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Research on guinea pigs (literally) has shown why there's a seasonal influence. Two groups of guinea pigs, one infected with a flulike germ, one not, each in cages relatively close together in a room.
At 5 degrees Celsius all the healthy guinea pigs got the Guinea pig flu.
At 20 degrees only one out of 4 got the flu.
At 30 degrees none got the flu (and they were all living as well )

Weirdly enough, during winter the air is not only colder but also much drier.
Germs spread in microscopic droplets of water, sprayed around when someone sneezes. These droplets evaporate slowly in a warm and moist environment but quickly in dry air. The larger a droplet is, the faster it will come down to the ground, the smaller the chance someone else breathes it in and gets infected.
In dry air viruses are in very small droplets that remain airborne almost indefinitely.

At least, that's what the researchers came up with to explain their results.

The Chinese advice to stay in is not specifically meant to create adverse conditions for flu contamination but rather to avoid meeting people with flu at all.
Thats a very interesting post. I noticed this when I was in college too. I thought it was exacerbated by staying indoors with air quality that is typically 2x worse than outside. Also, in the dorms all of the AC is connected together so if one person gets sick in one room it gets mixed around the whole building. I pretty much stopped getting sick after I moved out into my own home. Probably a mix of the cheap ass air filters that never got replaced and the interconnections. I know that HEPA filters and room to room seperation are mandated in certain industries here but I doubt much at all in China.
RedDevil (02-17-2020)