View Single Post
Old 02-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #288 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
He likes white world today, since today he have rights like white american, at least on paper. I would like to take hin in a time machine, and put hin as a target of USA troops, which killed millions of indians and tooki their land, just to ask hin if he appreciate it.
He's got more rights than the average American, because Native Americans have rights that extend beyond those that don't descend from native relatives. For instance, there's a part of Mt. Jefferson that belongs to an indian tribe, and it isn't permissible to climb from that glacier without permission from the tribe.

The US did the natives a huge disservice by not making them subject to the exact same laws as everyone else, and they suffer to this day largely due to this.

If you haven't noticed, the US is not currently doing any of those awful things you mention. Current Americans have nothing to apologize for except for our racist practice of telling natives that they require extra assistance because they can't make it on their own. The sooner that ill conceived bandage is removed, the sooner they will flourish.

The US is among the least racist countries in the world now. All nations arose from violent and inhumane times, and the US is no exception except that we recognized and explicitly stated the sovereignty of the individual. The foundation for recognizing every individual as intrinsically valuable and equal in inalienable rights was set from the beginning despite the long and continuing road to to perfect it. Perfection is something that is refined from imperfection, so if the standard of being patriotic is that the entire history has been perfect, then we should all sit around miserable and abandon our values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc View Post
Better for who???

That's the key question...
It's a joke meaning old people think fondly of their youth and say everything was better "back in the day", except most everything was worse. We think fondly of our youth because that's an exciting time of life, regardless the reality of everything having been worse.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 02-20-2020 at 12:02 PM..