View Single Post
Old 02-21-2020, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakbadger View Post

Right now I'm just using the included EVSE to charge every night. I rent, and though the homeowner is OK with it, I'd have to pay an electrician to make room in the breaker panel, install a new circuit, and install a receptacle. I'm comfortable doing all of this work myself, but sadly I don't own this place, so I'm not going to take on that liability, and paying an electrician is looking like well over a G.

So for now it's just LV-1, and I can use LV-2 when I go to the library or other places.

Where did you find them for so cheap? Hopefully not purchasing from crackheads who stole them... Lol
If there is a circuit somewhere in the panel that you don't use, you could temporarily convert it to 240v, as long as you blocked all unused outlets with a sign that said it's 240v. I did the opposite at my previous house, converting a 20a 240v circuit to 120v for an AC unit that was tripping my breaker. It was a single outlet so it was easy to convert without messing other things up.

I'd periodically check Craigslist for "EVSE" whenever I looked for cheap EVs. The $20 one was on there for a few weeks before I finally decided I wanted it, even if I didn't need it. Maybe nobody searches the keyword "EVSE" and didn't see the ad. The seller said her car was hit and totalled, so she had no use for the EVSE. I've seen 'em between $20-$180.

BTW, the mod makes it compatible with both 120v and 240v. You just make a an adapter cable to convert to the other outlet style. I've got a 14-50 plug on mine, so I'd need a 14-50 to 5-15 adaptor.

The other option is a Y adaptor that you plug into 2 120v outlets that are on opposite phases. You could buy that or make one:

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!