View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 11:16 AM   #178 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I bet you an unloaded Cybertruck never sees 632 miles of range and you really think somebody's going to be able to tow a camper 632 miles?

I do a lot of camping and I haven't stayed somewhere with even a 15A 110 outlet in 3 years. Yellowstone park for example has about 2200 sites total and only 340 have power. Those 340 don't allow pop-ups which would be the one camper an EV has a chance of moving a fair distance. Those 340 also are at the worst campground in Yellowstone, It's like staying in the Walmart parking lot. There is nothing to do at the actual campground so you need to use the truck to go and see stuff, therefore no opportunity to let it sit and charge which would take days on the 20a 110v they provide anyway.

Now using a diesel to haul a big toyhauler with 2 Arcimotos in the garage would be the bomb!
The caveat is,California,or 55-mph,and a streamlined Bowlus-Teller Road Chief,on Pacific Coast Highway,or I-5 for instance.
The NASCAR two-car draft derived trailers are net zero-mpg-loss.They're aerodynamically invisible.So much so,that they more than cancel out the increased rolling resistance associated with their mass.It's already proven.The tow vehicle will get whatever highway mpg it gets,with,or without the trailer.
Pop-ups at Yellowstone are a grizzly bear issue.Only hard-sided rigs are allowed.During orientation,they used to show a film of a bear shredding a camper.Last time I was there,a photographer has been eaten,and the bear put down.It's a real issue.Pulling the Bowlus requires less power than the pop-up.With the Model X it requires 292 Wh/mi @ 55-mph.316-miles range behind the Model X.With the same mods,the Cybertruck has only a weight penalty of less than 2-hp.Aero is the same.With the double-pack,we're essentially looking at double the range.