View Single Post
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #436 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,227 Times in 4,654 Posts
perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't have the details of the study, so my statements were my best recollection of the Ted Talk I watched.

You're letting the perfect get in the way of the good. Is it better for consumers to just buy ICE vehicles and continue on, or give them the option to purchase a plug-in hybrid? It presents a better alternative to those who would otherwise not consider an EV, or for those whom an EV is inappropriate for their circumstances.

My guess is that plug-in hybrids will be a substantial part of automotive portfolios going forward as they attempt to balance fuel economy, power, and utility. I'm eagerly awaiting the sales performance for the upcoming RAV4 Prime. I think this will be an indicator of plug-in sales success going forward, and will open the minds of people who had not previously considered EVs or hybrids. When non-owners get a ride in a RAV4 Prime and feel the performance from that 40 MPG vehicle, they will start asking more questions and begin thinking about electrifying their future transportation.
I'm just throwin' ideas around.I suspect that it will unfold just as you imagine.The plug-in was the gateway drug for AeroStealth and he's going Tesla next go-around.His C-Max Energi has been a big hit.And home solar-electric means his local BEV commuting will be zero-carbon.As the US transitions off fossil,his Supercharger juice will be more and more carbon-zero.
I'm at CarGurus looking at used BEVs.A $4,995 FIAT 500e will get me to the most distant fembot.For holiday travel I could rent a Tesla off a phone app now.My electric power is from West Texas wind,so my carbon footprint for driving would shrink.I don't heat the house.I have a single hot-plate,toaster oven,microwave.LED lighting.New Energy Star fridge.$19 electric bill last couple of months.No propane or gas.Heat comes from 93-million miles away.
ldjessee00 (02-27-2020)