Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #431 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Musk tweeted the width. They were aiming for 80", but it'll be closer to 82.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #432 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,222 Times in 4,649 Posts
frontal area

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldjessee00 View Post
I assume that such a small change does not change the frontal area by much and thus does not change the efficiency of the vehicle by much?

Does it change which trailers it will 'shadow'? Again, I assume not by much...
It looks like a lot of the larger RV trailers are in the 90s for the width in inches, so they were always going to be wider than the Cybertruck.
I guestimate:
*34.57-sq-ft at 8" G.C..
*35.24-sq-ft at 12" G.C..
*35.9-sq-ft at 16" G.C..
At 82-inches,she's a little wider than Model X.At 68.74",to 76.74" overall height,she has an advantage,towing wise,compared to Model X.
In the YouTube,we'll show the NASA,GM,and MIT aero-cheating to assassinate the drag.It will be very easy to pull a large gooseneck equivalent of some fifth-wheels with lower power than the Cimarron ShowStar.The NASCAR-dynamic trailers are zero-mpg-loss trailers.If Cybertruck can go 500-miles.It will go 500-miles towing one.And since the trailer can carry an extra pack,we're looking at 1,000-miles between charging.No stops for charging until you reach your destination.That should quell some of the anxiety associated with BEVs pulling trailers.Tesla's already got a 110-kWh pack in the pipeline for the 'cars.'
ldjessee00 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 01:16 PM   #433 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

I'll put on my sendler hat and point out that the higher the battery capacity, the more entrained fossil fuel energy it represents. In other words, it takes a lot of energy to mine, refine, and construct a large battery, and consequently has a longer "break even point" as far as offsetting fossil fuel consumption.

I don't recall the specifics of the study, but a 100 kWh battery might take 150,000 miles to break even on fossil fuel consumption compared with an identical ICE version. The smaller the battery pack, the sooner the EV becomes more environmentally friendly.

The takeaway from the Ted Talk was that plug-in hybrids are an important bridge technology that can end up being more environmentally friendly than an EV equipped with a humongous battery that rarely uses anywhere near the full capacity.

I'll reiterate my point that manufacturers should have been building their vehicles around a 16 kWh battery that would give them 40-50 (30 in a truck or van) miles of EV range. Undersize the ICE and supplement with EV power.

aerohead (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:36 PM   #434 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

mine,refine,and construct

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I'll put on my sendler hat and point out that the higher the battery capacity, the more entrained fossil fuel energy it represents. In other words, it takes a lot of energy to mine, refine, and construct a large battery, and consequently has a longer "break even point" as far as offsetting fossil fuel consumption.

I don't recall the specifics of the study, but a 100 kWh battery might take 150,000 miles to break even on fossil fuel consumption compared with an identical ICE version. The smaller the battery pack, the sooner the EV becomes more environmentally friendly.

The takeaway from the Ted Talk was that plug-in hybrids are an important bridge technology that can end up being more environmentally friendly than an EV equipped with a humongous battery that rarely uses anywhere near the full capacity.

I'll reiterate my point that manufacturers should have been building their vehicles around a 16 kWh battery that would give them 40-50 (30 in a truck or van) miles of EV range. Undersize the ICE and supplement with EV power.
Could we not use identical metrics to argue a larger gas tank and what goes in it?Would you like to tell everyone what the carbon footprint of a gallon of fuel is,before it ever makes it to a vehicle?
The 'humongous' battery can serve as a Power Wall in an emergency,or for load leveling.It doesn't require daily charging,freeing the charging infrastructure to 'rotate' demand.
There is a strong argument for building a 'lot' of plug-in hybrids with the material it would take to construct a single,large pack.Then there's the argument to skip all the waste associated with building the engine and powertrain of the hybrid,and $700-billion/year on a military to protect oil shipments and Cobalt and other rare earth materials to run the engine,and just make the leap to BEV,running on American wind and sun;while maintaining a smaller hard-power footprint on the difference.
ldjessee00 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #435 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Could we not use identical metrics to argue a larger gas tank and what goes in it?Would you like to tell everyone what the carbon footprint of a gallon of fuel is,before it ever makes it to a vehicle?
The 'humongous' battery can serve as a Power Wall in an emergency,or for load leveling.It doesn't require daily charging,freeing the charging infrastructure to 'rotate' demand.
There is a strong argument for building a 'lot' of plug-in hybrids with the material it would take to construct a single,large pack.Then there's the argument to skip all the waste associated with building the engine and powertrain of the hybrid,and $700-billion/year on a military to protect oil shipments and Cobalt and other rare earth materials to run the engine,and just make the leap to BEV,running on American wind and sun;while maintaining a smaller hard-power footprint on the difference.
I don't have the details of the study, so my statements were my best recollection of the Ted Talk I watched.

You're letting the perfect get in the way of the good. Is it better for consumers to just buy ICE vehicles and continue on, or give them the option to purchase a plug-in hybrid? It presents a better alternative to those who would otherwise not consider an EV, or for those whom an EV is inappropriate for their circumstances.

My guess is that plug-in hybrids will be a substantial part of automotive portfolios going forward as they attempt to balance fuel economy, power, and utility. I'm eagerly awaiting the sales performance for the upcoming RAV4 Prime. I think this will be an indicator of plug-in sales success going forward, and will open the minds of people who had not previously considered EVs or hybrids. When non-owners get a ride in a RAV4 Prime and feel the performance from that 40 MPG vehicle, they will start asking more questions and begin thinking about electrifying their future transportation.

aerohead (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:14 PM   #436 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

perfect

Quote:
I don't have the details of the study, so my statements were my best recollection of the Ted Talk I watched.

You're letting the perfect get in the way of the good. Is it better for consumers to just buy ICE vehicles and continue on, or give them the option to purchase a plug-in hybrid? It presents a better alternative to those who would otherwise not consider an EV, or for those whom an EV is inappropriate for their circumstances.

My guess is that plug-in hybrids will be a substantial part of automotive portfolios going forward as they attempt to balance fuel economy, power, and utility. I'm eagerly awaiting the sales performance for the upcoming RAV4 Prime. I think this will be an indicator of plug-in sales success going forward, and will open the minds of people who had not previously considered EVs or hybrids. When non-owners get a ride in a RAV4 Prime and feel the performance from that 40 MPG vehicle, they will start asking more questions and begin thinking about electrifying their future transportation.
I'm just throwin' ideas around.I suspect that it will unfold just as you imagine.The plug-in was the gateway drug for AeroStealth and he's going Tesla next go-around.His C-Max Energi has been a big hit.And home solar-electric means his local BEV commuting will be zero-carbon.As the US transitions off fossil,his Supercharger juice will be more and more carbon-zero.
I'm at CarGurus looking at used BEVs.A $4,995 FIAT 500e will get me to the most distant fembot.For holiday travel I could rent a Tesla off a phone app now.My electric power is from West Texas wind,so my carbon footprint for driving would shrink.I don't heat the house.I have a single hot-plate,toaster oven,microwave.LED lighting.New Energy Star fridge.$19 electric bill last couple of months.No propane or gas.Heat comes from 93-million miles away.
ldjessee00 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #437 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
A $4,995 FIAT 500e will get me to the most distant fembot.
aerohead has [multiple] fembots?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:49 PM   #438 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

multiple

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
aerohead has [multiple] fembots?
Oh sure,a whole livery!
freebeard (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 06:47 PM   #439 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
PHEVs will take off IF manufacturers figure out how to sell them and educate the public on the benefits. GM shot themselves in the foot by calling the Volt an "electric car". I can't tell you how many people I talked to that thought it was an electric car with a 40 mile range for $40,000

PHEVs could be sold as fuel efficient performance vehicles. The RAV4 Prime will be the 2nd fastest vehicle 0-60 that Toyota sells. 0-60 in 5.8 seconds combined with 40 mpg fuel economy and 40 miles of EV range for $30,000 is an attractive package. (If Toyota can someone figure out a way to let people know about all of that)
Old 02-26-2020, 06:49 PM   #440 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Do you know which study? The Union of Concerned Scientists estimated 39,000 miles to carbon-parity for a full-size EV compared to a gas car in a dirty-grid state in 2015. The appendices detail their assumptions and methodology for each car type, and size examples.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
ldjessee00 (02-27-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread