View Single Post
Old 02-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #32 (permalink)
freebeard
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
I question everything about the homebuilding industry. It boggles my mind why most homes are a bespoke work rather than built from a large number of existing plans. Then, why are we still cutting lumber and nailing it together? There's got to be a better way were either the frame is printed on site, or the materials are all precisely measured and cut at a factory, and then Ikea assembled on site.
In the 1920s Bucky Fuller talked about having a car handbuilt in the driveway as an analogy. His Dymaxion bathroom and houses were his response.

I built and operated Oregon Dome's first factory in 1980. Flat-panel kits that went up in one day. The forms were built to 1/64th" and the pieces were cut to 1/32nd". Across a 40ft circle they were accurate to 1/8th".

I worked for two roofing truss companies 40 years apart. There was quite a difference, I mentioned the laser patterns, but I was an estimator and used CAD software that automated layouts. I don't like engineered trusses though, they create unusable space.

I completed a 3D model of the cyberhouse and emailed it off. There're others who will see it first, but I should be able to meet my self-imposed 24-post deadline.