View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 12:17 AM   #63 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Come to think of it I haven't replace a CV joint in awhile. My old GMC Jimmy went through front CV joint pretty frequently but it was used to deliver newspapers along with some mild off-roading. My 2003 VW, 2005 Prius, and 2009 Prius went 10, 12, and 10 years respectively on the original axles.

BTW, that is a Meritor E axle for a semi

Live axles are inferior to independent suspension for most applications and electric motors make independent suspension really easy to package because the motor is so much smaller than an engine. It is better to start from scratch.

The expensive part of EVs are the batteries not the motor or body. That is what is preventing cheap EVs
So a $35,000 Tesla Model 3 is all battery? Clearly there is a ton of room to decontent and simplify a very fancy model 3 and lower that price a bunch. Or maybe Musk just threw a few out there so he wouldn't be a liar and it is $35,000 worth of battery and $10,000 worth of red ink for Tesla.

Still, just take a Ford transit van, put the Dana Spicer Electrified eS5700r e-Axle under the rear wheels, give it a battery that will carry it 60 miles at city speeds, and sell it to delivery fleets of USPS, FedEx, UPS, Amazon, florists, Best Buy, Home Depot, Office city, Dunder Mifflin, Cakes-R-US, etc, etc.
This building from the ground up is unnecessary, delaying implementation, and adding to the costs.