View Single Post
Old 03-03-2020, 01:12 PM   #69 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Getting into the solar business was probably a mistake. You can't beat Chinese prices for PV panels, and the reviews of Tesla Solar are scathing. The only competitive advantage they have is transparent pricing (solar companies are like car dealerships), and offering a preset bundled packages. For example, they offer 4 sizes of solar output, so the system isn't custom built for each location. Rather, you choose the one most appropriate for your location and they apply the same formula over and over again. If you need something different, such as a different output, or a different mounting option like ground mount, you're not the customer they're looking for.

I believe Tesla is the only manufacturer to have a marginal profit from their EVs, but only on their more premium trims (and the fact that they are a premium brand). Batteries are so terrible that making EVs to be profitable is a serious challenge.

As I say, the long term success of Tesla comes down to significant improvement in battery chemistry or manufacturing.

I predict a plug-in hybrid era to boom before the EV era. It makes financial and environmental sense to size a battery to meet typical daily driving needs and no larger, and have an ICE tackle the longer trips.

Until batteries can get about twice as "good", there will be a strong case for plug-in hybrids.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!