View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #84 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It is funny how life changes. Now that I can afford the cars I wanted in High School I don’t want them anymore.

I guess I’ve always been a bit of an old soul. When I bought my first BMW touring bike the salesman wouldn’t sell it to me. He likely thought I was just a young kid wasting his time. (I was 25 when the average BMW rider was about 55)

I am considering swapping the BMW motorcycle for a 1st gen Boxster. They have pretty much grit the bottom of the depreciation curve and should start increasing in value.
I think we have discussed this here before, there are some cars I drooled over in high school I would still like to have today but most are not even slightly interesting anymore. I'm talking 1984 to 1988 new cars and not cars that were already collectible at that point like say a 1971 Hemi Cuda.
#1 I wish I would have bought 3-4 years old at peak depreciation, a Buick Grand National. I could have easily bought one in 1990 when instead I bought my first new car a Chevy Beretta which is near worthless today.
#1 car I'm glad I didn't buy that I really wanted, a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi of those years. Very expensive then, worthless today.

I have also always owned a minivan, we bought our first one in 1990 a used 1988 Caravan. I actually then loaned it to my hippie dad who also immediately went out and bought one too to replace his 1970 Tradsman 100 and he owned one from then on up to his death last year. I can't ever see not owning a minivan.

Last edited by Hersbird; 03-05-2020 at 12:24 PM..