Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #81 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,103 Times in 973 Posts
No youre old when you realize that you like fuel economy and practicalities more than anything else. It's not a bad thing.

Hersbird (03-05-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-05-2020, 10:39 AM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
No youre old when you realize that you like fuel economy and practicalities more than anything else. It's not a bad thing.
Doesn't make you old, just ahead of the curve.
JJ
Old 03-05-2020, 12:03 PM   #83 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,050 Times in 1,384 Posts
It is funny how life changes. Now that I can afford the cars I wanted in High School I don’t want them anymore.

I guess I’ve always been a bit of an old soul. When I bought my first BMW touring bike the salesman wouldn’t sell it to me. He likely thought I was just a young kid wasting his time. (I was 25 when the average BMW rider was about 55)

I am considering swapping the BMW motorcycle for a 1st gen Boxster. They have pretty much grit the bottom of the depreciation curve and should start increasing in value.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It is funny how life changes. Now that I can afford the cars I wanted in High School I don’t want them anymore.

I guess I’ve always been a bit of an old soul. When I bought my first BMW touring bike the salesman wouldn’t sell it to me. He likely thought I was just a young kid wasting his time. (I was 25 when the average BMW rider was about 55)

I am considering swapping the BMW motorcycle for a 1st gen Boxster. They have pretty much grit the bottom of the depreciation curve and should start increasing in value.
I think we have discussed this here before, there are some cars I drooled over in high school I would still like to have today but most are not even slightly interesting anymore. I'm talking 1984 to 1988 new cars and not cars that were already collectible at that point like say a 1971 Hemi Cuda.
#1 I wish I would have bought 3-4 years old at peak depreciation, a Buick Grand National. I could have easily bought one in 1990 when instead I bought my first new car a Chevy Beretta which is near worthless today.
#1 car I'm glad I didn't buy that I really wanted, a Pontiac Bonneville SSEi of those years. Very expensive then, worthless today.

I have also always owned a minivan, we bought our first one in 1990 a used 1988 Caravan. I actually then loaned it to my hippie dad who also immediately went out and bought one too to replace his 1970 Tradsman 100 and he owned one from then on up to his death last year. I can't ever see not owning a minivan.

Last edited by Hersbird; 03-05-2020 at 12:24 PM..
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #85 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post

I feel similarly. I thought I'd buy a Subaru WRX the moment I could afford one, then after taking one for a test drive decided not to.

Back when I was 24, I could have bought most any Lexus on the lot with cash because I had been living in my car for a couple years, banking 95% of my take-home. I went to look at cars with my girlfriend, and the salesman wouldn't even open the doors for me to sit in them. That's fine, I never intended to purchase a new vehicle, but at least I had given him the opportunity to sell me on the idea, and he passed.

I suppose I want a Model 3, but not bad enough to drop $40k on it. If I'm spending that kind of cash, it had better be a hatchback (or liftback, or station wagon, or whatever you call not a trunk). Don't want the roof glass either. Putting that kind of weight up high is the opposite of good design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I have also always owned a minivan, we bought our first one in 1990 a used 1988 Caravan. I actually then loaned it to my hippie dad who also immediately went out and bought one too to replace his 1970 Tradsman 100 and he owned one from then on up to his death last year. I can't ever see not owning a minivan.
My list of contenders back when I bought the Acura TSX (2010) were:

Corolla
Delorean
Lotus Elise
Chevy Metro
Lexus IS250 (unimpressed with the auto after test drive)
Subaru Outback (poor handling and fuel economy vs Legacy)

I've never been opposed to minivans as I've had great experiences in them. I drove a full sized Dodge Ram van in high school and it was awesome, especially with $0.99 petrol. The comfort and utility and technology that goes into them are superb. I would be very happy to drive a Pacifica plug-in.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-05-2020, 02:36 PM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I can't even remember what I wanted in high school, prolly a hand-beaten aluminum bodied sports car. I passed on a $25 1928 Model A two-door and got a $100 bullet-nosed Studebaker instead.
Quote:
I suppose I want a Model 3, but not bad enough to drop $40k on it. If I'm spending that kind of cash, it had better be a hatchback (or liftback, or station wagon, or whatever you call not a trunk).
Tesla is working on your ideal solution, should be shipping in 2021.

[My list of contenders...] today:
A Cybertruck with an Evergreen FUV in the bed ($60K)
A new-metal 23-window VW bus with an electric drivetrain. ($75K)

Old 03-05-2020, 05:08 PM   #87 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I can't even remember what I wanted in high school
I'm with you on that one.

It sounds like my attitude is more european than North American. A vehicle takes me and my stuff where I want to go.

It can be ugly and cheap as long as it works!

I'm not sure it can be as ugly as the Cybertruck though.

Stuff enough batteries into a full-sized 3/4 ton van ... wrap them in armor plate ... and figure out how to get insurance on the conversion?

The van would need to be pre-air bags and pre-abs for any conversion to have a hope of passing inspection where I live. Maybe an older truck. Station wagon? It needs to tow, drive relatively straight, hold 3 people ... maybe 100 miles towing range would be sufficient .. so 200-ish unloaded as a Wild A** Guess.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Vanagon body grafted onto a rollerskate cut from a Subaru, flat-six replaced with 'small block' Tesla drivetrain. Plenty of battery box space under the Vanagon body (wider than the Type II shown)

OTOH, personally I don't find the Cybertruck objectionable. Maybe all those red Lambro Countach posters in the eighties.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:46 PM   #89 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Tesla is working on your ideal solution, should be shipping in 2021.

[My list of contenders...] today:
A Cybertruck with an Evergreen FUV in the bed ($60K)
I should have rephrased to say that I wouldn't spend $40k on any vehicle that doesn't fly. The Y as I understand it, is shorter than the 3. Shorter and more expensive and less efficient... not a combination I find to be a good trade off to get a hatch instead of a trunk.

The Cybertruck sounds to be even more in line with what I'd want. 6 passenger seating is appealing, along with the AWD capability and pure utility. If they can put that pull-out ramp in as a standard feature, they've got a winner. I've crossed the divide between considering the CT to be the ugliest thing I've seen, to preferring the look.

Still not willing to spend $60k on a vehicle that doesn't fly though. I'll have to wait until used ones get down to $25k. I'm not one to pay a premium to own the latest and greatest because I'll still be impressed when I finally adopt the 1 generation old technology. Maybe I'll change my perspective when I'm a bit closer to my end and the prospect of seeing future tech becomes less likely.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-06-2020, 01:38 AM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Still not willing to spend $60k on a vehicle that doesn't fly though.
I'm with you there. Back in the 1970s I decided I'd drive VW Beetles until I could trade up to a UFO.

I've come to regret that and more recently I've decided the FUV is 'close enough'.