View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 02:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Using your credit card for the points? Don't make payments too soon!

Six months ago I decided to try to accrue credit card points and then made payments within days. However, I have been charged $22 in interest while earning $14.50 in points. Losing $7.50 isn't a huge deal, but it shouldn't have happened, I should have earned $14.50.

Each month I am confused that I have any purchase balance at all and that I am charged interest on it. I called Navy Federal and the lady did not have any idea why I was being charged interest, so she suggested that I talked to her supervisor. The supervisor gave me a long and complicated explanation. I asked "I am making payments too soon?"

"Sir, I did not say that!" She then gave me a longer and more complicated explanation. I asked what my current purchase balance is (which I can only ever see on my statements) and she said $436.95!

My balance is $215 lower than it was six months ago, but I have over $400 in recent purchases?

I said "I will make an immediate payment of $436.95 and then stop using your card because I am making payments too soon. Have a good night."

With altogether too much enthusiasm she responded "You too!"

The problem is that I made payments on pending charges, so $222 went towards my balance transfer, and the rest went for recent purchases. Somehow I do not have 30 days to pay off purchases before paying interest because I have a balance transfer.

They are not required to have a grace period?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mistakesdemotivator.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	27641