View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I can tell you that if I were a business owner, I would make a calculated decision based on my perception of all the variables; the value of keeping workers working (and getting paid), the need to participate in slowing the spread of infection, the public image outcome from either decision, etc...

There is a tricky balancing act that maximizes economic output while keeping the rate of infections below our health facilities capacity to treat them. That balancing act must be individually assessed at each locality, since areas aren't impacted proportionately.
We are shut down here with 4 cases, all cases were infected somewhere else and brought here (although one did get it at a conference just a few hours down the road). I hope it will curb things but what if we just do it for a month or two, "flatten the curve" or whatever, then open back up only to finally get our exposure then. We just in a way wasted our response. Now if it works and we basically never get an outbreak here or a very limited one then great. I also think the only way it works is if we take nonessential seriously. The government bureaucracy turd is almost the worst. They are doing census now, we at the post office haven't shut down junk mail, things like vehicle registration is still due, etc.