Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
I can tell you that if I were a business owner, I would make a calculated decision based on my perception of all the variables; the value of keeping workers working (and getting paid), the need to participate in slowing the spread of infection, the public image outcome from either decision, etc...

There is a tricky balancing act that maximizes economic output while keeping the rate of infections below our health facilities capacity to treat them. That balancing act must be individually assessed at each locality, since areas aren't impacted proportionately.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I can tell you that if I were a business owner, I would make a calculated decision based on my perception of all the variables; the value of keeping workers working (and getting paid), the need to participate in slowing the spread of infection, the public image outcome from either decision, etc...

There is a tricky balancing act that maximizes economic output while keeping the rate of infections below our health facilities capacity to treat them. That balancing act must be individually assessed at each locality, since areas aren't impacted proportionately.
We are shut down here with 4 cases, all cases were infected somewhere else and brought here (although one did get it at a conference just a few hours down the road). I hope it will curb things but what if we just do it for a month or two, "flatten the curve" or whatever, then open back up only to finally get our exposure then. We just in a way wasted our response. Now if it works and we basically never get an outbreak here or a very limited one then great. I also think the only way it works is if we take nonessential seriously. The government bureaucracy turd is almost the worst. They are doing census now, we at the post office haven't shut down junk mail, things like vehicle registration is still due, etc.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
My understanding is that we're looking at eventually a near 100% exposure rate. We'll have to continue monitoring the spread vs healthcare capacity to treat, and that's done at the local level. Social interactions will have to be phased in/out as needed at the local level. This might occur over the course of a year or more depending on availability of vaccines or treatment methods.

Fortunately we're getting this wake up call in a form less devastating than it could have been (and likely will one day be).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
MeteorGray (03-21-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...nt-coronavirus

Good job Mr Musk! See this is how you stay essential. I hope he realizes a ventilator is different than a bong. Just kidding, this really does make me happy but so do jokes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-19-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread