View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 07:19 PM   #35 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Two fills with the new mods installed, 75 and 73 MPG.

I think it is safe to say that the new cams are not helping without a tune. As I have said before, this bike unfortunately has an open loop fuel system. This means that the FI runs off a programmed map rather than reading an O2 sensor and adjusting the mixture on the fly. What I have done here is allowed less air into the engine, but shifted the power down lower. This means that the bike is running richer, but I can hold gears slightly longer. Potentially needing more throttle to accelerate. So really I am using more gas right now.

It would be interesting if I could get my hands on a V strom ECU, I wonder if the rest of the bike will play nice. Otherwise I am looking at getting a Teka SFI tune to lean out the fuel maps. As opposed to a powercommander, the Teka reprograms the existing ECU. This should eliminate any potential reliability issues like what I have heard with powercommanders. I may even be able to get the idle speed turned down with the tune, it sits at 1,300 RPM right now, I think it could be dropped to 1,150 without issue.

Other than the cams, I have no reason to believe that the other mods are not helping. I should check the spark plugs again, plus compare them to my brother's stock SV.

These cams fall into the category of competition/range extension/environmental savings as opposed to cost savings. I suspect the tune will override any cost savings from improved fuel economy, but who knows. We will see!

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 03-19-2020 at 09:07 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-20-2020), jkv357 (03-20-2020)