View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
redneck
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
He specifically said more people would commit suicide due to lock downs that would die from the virus if we lift them.

“People get tremendous anxiety and depression and you have suicide over things like this, when you have a terrible economy, you have death, definitely ...in far greater numbers than we’re talking about with regard to the virus.”

I completely agree. My father and father-in-law have taken to listening to conservative talk radio since they retired. Everyday they are hearing this isn't a real threat but is really just a conspiracy to take down Trump.

They are not taking this seriously and are still continuing their daily life as normal. My in-laws went shopping yesterday to multiple stores, then visited 3 homes of friends and relatives. They didn't need to go shopping, they just wanted to get out.

Again...

That is more than likely a correct statement.

Stock market crash 1929 and following depression.

https://www.history.com/news/stock-market-crash-suicides-wall-street-1929-great-depression

Quote:
Behind 1929’s building-jumping myth, however, may be the larger truth that the onset of the Great Depression did correlate to an increase in suicides. Based on statistics reported by Galbraith in The Great Crash 1929, the suicide rate in the United States increased from 17.0 per 100,000 people in 1929 to 21.3 in 1932 during the worst of the financial calamity. The pattern was much the same in New York.

Suicide Statistics

https://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

Quote:
Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US.

In 2018, 48,344 Americans died by suicide

In 2018, there were an estimated 1,400,000 suicide attempts
Time will tell since we don’t know the final numbers.

But history say’s it will go up.

As far as your father and father in-law.

To quote Churchill:

A young man who is not a liberal has no heart; an old man who is not a conservative has no brain.

Sounds to me like their cognitive skills are just fine...

>