View Single Post
Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #8595 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD

Van - '21 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Thanked 4,458 Times in 3,424 Posts
Don't know if you've been following the CV thread RD, but it's already pretty much everywhere. Containment as a strategy was off the table after the Chinese let the flu travel to every corner of the globe and failed to convey the seriousness of it in a timely manner.

Since containment isn't an option, "flattening the curve" is all we've got. That is, attempting to target an infection rate that does not overwhelm local hospitals. The president has as close to nothing to do with this as you can get. Every locale has their own risk factors and capabilities to treat patients, so the mitigation strategy must be done at the local level.

I'm not saying Trump is handling this admirably (I don't follow politics), only that it mostly doesn't matter, and he's relying on experts for developing strategy despite whatever it is he's Tweeting these days.

Regarding climate change, a unilateral fight against global warming is worse than doing nothing. A unilateral fight just means that country's people suffer while non-participating countries prosper. Sounds like a thinly veiled ploy to achieve a Marxist dream of "leveling the playing field" by stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. We'll ultimately end up failing to achieve a solution to the problem of global warming, because that was never the interest in the first place, and as a bonus, we'll all be equally miserable living the Communist utopia.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!