Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #8591 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
This may be a little dated; but it confirms my biases.

Three different waves are additive right now.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #8592 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Can I pay a tax to make the China virus go away like with global warming.
What forced virtue signaling and self flagellation doesn't actually work?

Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #8593 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
It is a dilemma.
The cure takes a lot of money in both cases.
Would you prefer to pay tax to enable measures to be taken against it or rather support a president who pretends it goes away if you do nothing?

Hint: COVID-19 won't be confined to New York for long. We went from nothing to thousands of cases in a couple of weeks. In just a few weeks more it can be millions.
Climate change will take maybe a century before it goes really bad. I won't see that, but my kids will.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (03-25-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #8594 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
It's in all states and has been for weeks.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:41 PM   #8595 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Don't know if you've been following the CV thread RD, but it's already pretty much everywhere. Containment as a strategy was off the table after the Chinese let the flu travel to every corner of the globe and failed to convey the seriousness of it in a timely manner.

Since containment isn't an option, "flattening the curve" is all we've got. That is, attempting to target an infection rate that does not overwhelm local hospitals. The president has as close to nothing to do with this as you can get. Every locale has their own risk factors and capabilities to treat patients, so the mitigation strategy must be done at the local level.

I'm not saying Trump is handling this admirably (I don't follow politics), only that it mostly doesn't matter, and he's relying on experts for developing strategy despite whatever it is he's Tweeting these days.

Regarding climate change, a unilateral fight against global warming is worse than doing nothing. A unilateral fight just means that country's people suffer while non-participating countries prosper. Sounds like a thinly veiled ploy to achieve a Marxist dream of "leveling the playing field" by stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. We'll ultimately end up failing to achieve a solution to the problem of global warming, because that was never the interest in the first place, and as a bonus, we'll all be equally miserable living the Communist utopia.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-24-2020, 10:36 PM   #8596 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil
Would you prefer to pay tax to enable measures to be taken against it or rather support a president who pretends it goes away if you do nothing?
I'd prefer measures that taxes pay for not be held hostage by a political party and it's operatives in Congress.

Having a germaphobe President who has been trying to decouple from China and control the borders for years is better than the apparent alternative.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #8597 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
all-time rain record for us

DFW just set an all-time rain record for the start of a year,dating back to the 1800s. Eleven continuous days of measurable rainfall.We're 7.70-inches ahead for the year so far,at 15.52-inches.I'd just washed the truck.I was forced to abandon my plans for isolating-in-place, sidewalk chalk art.The clothesline's been belly-laughing for over a week.All the fish have walked off,claiming they didn't need the bath.And the truck said,'Don't look at me!',while trying to conceal its tailpipe with the rear tire.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:13 PM   #8598 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Don't know if you've been following the CV thread RD, but it's already pretty much everywhere.
If you do you'll know I do. My post was a response to the poster above, who hates New Yorkers and saw COVID-19 as their problem only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Regarding climate change, a unilateral fight against global warming is worse than doing nothing. A unilateral fight just means that country's people suffer while non-participating countries prosper. Sounds like a thinly veiled ploy to achieve a Marxist dream of "leveling the playing field" by stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. We'll ultimately end up failing to achieve a solution to the problem of global warming, because that was never the interest in the first place, and as a bonus, we'll all be equally miserable living the Communist utopia.
The common view here in Europe is that we're the ones fighting to save the climate while the oil producing countries and the US in particular are lagging badly with extremely high carbon emissions per capita, far worse in fact than your favorite hated commies.
How can you accuse others of non-participating...?

That said, we are far from perfect, and it is not a contest. Every measure against global warming helps, no matter where.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #8599 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
That said, we are far from perfect, and it is not a contest. Every measure against global warming helps, no matter where.
To err is human ...or so I hear.

Measures that address pollution and over-consumption carry more weight.

Long term, the Earth's temperature is about average and trending up. You don't want it to rise too quickly because that [apparently] would trigger an Ice Age. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #8600 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The common view here in Europe is that we're the ones fighting to save the climate while the oil producing countries and the US in particular are lagging badly with extremely high carbon emissions per capita, far worse in fact than your favorite hated commies.
How can you accuse others of non-participating...?

Commies are relative saints in the CO2 arena precisely because that system is inefficient at allocating labor resources and optimizing labor output. I don't hate them, I feel bad that they have been wrapped up in a failed idea, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

The Netherlands largest company is Royal Dutch Shell. It's like the cocaine dealer saying they are trying to cut back.

I do believe Europe is ahead of the curve in self-loathing, something which I see increasing in the US. The more that "advanced" societies convince people that their lives are meaningless and that their existence is a blight on the world, the less motivation people have to live.

My only hope for the US is that we learn from the early failings of Europe in time to make course corrections. That isn't to say that everything European countries does is a bad idea, or that there aren't things we should adopt to make the US better, but in general Europe is seeding their own destruction.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Tags
lies, opinion, reality, scam