View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM   #104 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am disappointed that politician did not know that you cannot receive unemployment after quitting, but politicians disappoint me every day.
Why do you think politicians don't know you can't get unemployment after quitting? That is pretty common knowledge.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to leave on poor terms because I would want to return once unemployment runs out.

However, would I get all of my clients back, or would the other S.L.P.A. get them?
I really doubt if you quit right now you would get hired back let alone get your old clients back. Why would she piss off her other employees that stood by her now to give you your clients back? Why would she interrupt the client's treatment by transferring them unnecessarily?

Quote:
I hate to think of some city folk picking up clients in my area. Since she will not be driving all over, that other S.L.P.A. can pick up more clients.

What I like is that they authorized tele evaluations. I have had a client waiting for an evaluation for over three months!
Remote work is a two-edged sword. If you can do your work remotely you are competing not only with the whole state but with the whole world. Some of my co-workers think this period of working from home will show our company that we don't have to go to the office. I think it will show them that and that a remote engineer from Mexico or India can do the job for a small fraction of the salary of a US engineer. We have already been moving that direction. (As have the last 3 companies I worked for - even the one with only a few thousand employees)

Quote:
Right now there is only one agency advertising in the Phoenix area with comparable pay. They actually advertise $1 an hour more for a W-2 employee than my agency pays 1099 contractors.
$1 more an hour + paying half of payroll taxes (7.7% of your wages) + 6% of the first $7,000 you make for unemployment insurance.

This is the first time contract and self-employed workers have been eligible for unemployment benefits. Even in 2008/2009 you were out of luck if you were not a W2 employee.

Quote:
Maybe she could get me a good caseload out here, but that still does not seem like an atmosphere that I want.
Sometime you have to work a job you don't like with a boss you dislike to pay the bills and get ahead.

Quote:
As of a few days ago, 3.3 million Americans filed for unemployment. The thing is, I see Help Wanted signs all over.

However, even though the minimum wage in Arizona is $12, it seems like nobody wants these jobs.
Grocery stores near me are paying the workers extra hazard pay, bringing in food for them to eat lunch, and putting up sneeze guards and making other changes to reduce risk.

It would be pretty short sighted to quit a job you have had for awhile (and likely worked your way to more than minimum wage) to grab a temporary unemployment check. The extra $600 a week ends in July and there are going to be millions of people competing for jobs. Regular unemployment maxes out at 45% of your normal paycheck for many people it is much less. When I collect unemployment in 2008/2009 it was less than 20% of my pay and didn't even cover the mortgage on our modest house in the extreme burbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-28-2020)