View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #106 (permalink)
Xist
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Politicians say ignorant things all of the time.

She who?

My boss is a dude, but I live in a small town in rural Arizona. There are 11,000 people in Show Low and 100,000 people in the entire county. The other SLPA works for a different agency.

It is just the two of us for the entire area.

So, maybe the support coordinators would assign my clients to the other SLPA, but honestly, some probably wouldn't get reassigned, and in this purely hypothetical situation, Mr. Boss man would reach out to the families that weren't reassigned, and ask "Xist is back. Do you want to resume therapy?"

Don't get any crazy ideas that I want to do this or have any relevant plans. I like my job and love my clients. I am not going anywhere, I just do not like that the unemployed will receive more money than I am.

I do not want more pay, just more clients.

As an SLPA, my license is only good in the state of Arizona. As far as I know, this is true nationwide, although an SLP in Mississippi could do teletherapy with a client in California.

Yes, an engineer could work from any country, but so could a doctor or a teacher. We could fix our shortage by outsourcing everything.

You forgot retirement!

I pay my bills.

As I have said time and again, all that matters is that I get into grad school. As an SLP I can get a job earning $50,000 in 10 months, or go rogue, get my own clients, and earn $149.31 an hour. Even if I still only averaged nine hours a week that would be $1,343.79 weekly and $67,189.50 a year.

They were supposed to send out their acceptance letters by now

I found the program's Facebook page and inquired.

I do believe in being proactive.

The news showed sneeze guards being installed in our stores, which is great. I have not seen anything about extra pay, just some place advertising "$12 an hour!"

I do not think that it matters how high the minimum wage is, people won't be excited about earning it. They always want to earn higher.

The only place that offered extra pay was when I went through Kevin's job suggestions for an old Army friend that complained about searching for a job, especially right now.

Some company contracts drivers for Amazon. They pay $15 an hour, but right now are offering an extra $2. I shared the link, but he did not respond.

I check for SLPA jobs every day and I have never seen an agency offering minimum wage [for a job that requires a degree], but I have seen a few districts offer $13 - 14.

$20 - 25 is more common.

I moved to Show Low March 16th, 2018 and was hired the next day. I have received a raise, but everybody did. As far as I know, they pay all SLPAs in an area the same, and all SLPs in one area the same. When the state gave everyone a raise I posted in a speech therapy Facebook group.

None of the other agencies paid as well as mine and many didn't mention they were receiving more money. People were upset that they were being paid less than me, but as far as I know, they calmed down and said "This is fine."

It seemed strange that people were upset that my agency did not pay extra for x, y, and z, even though they paid everyone better than the best-qualified therapist elsewhere.

I heard back from NAU!
They said
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yXDVYKr.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	27782   Click image for larger version

Name:	gaAVSRF.png
Views:	51
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	27783