View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #135 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I am just saying that just because a small country can do it does not mean that it would be as easy or efficient for a country as large as ours, but I keep seeing that even with higher taxes, it would be cheaper.

I am going to watch some other videos by them about the topic, but I wish that someone would give me the other side:
At the end, this Canadian asks us to not socialize our medicine because Canadians need the option of paying to receive timely health care.
I think the matter can be explained at a high level pretty easily. Socialized medicine can be cheaper because the quality of the medicine is less. Lower quality medicine is still relatively good medicine for most people most of the time. In the US, providers are incentivzed to keep the patient going as long as they or a delegate chooses. Sometimes, rarely, that ends up producing positive results. In socialized medicine, there's no incentive (or perhaps negative) to administer heroic medicine for everyone.

Our system sucks because we can't leverage the advantages free markets generally convey. How many ERs did you research before deciding which one to visit? How did you find out about the ambulance that you ultimately decided to hire for your emergency ride to the hospital? What is the cost of a standard 15min office visit to your primary care provider (I promise you can't find that out even if you speak with billing directly). We subsidize medicine now by paying way more than it costs to receive a service so that it offsets the costs incurred for those that cannot or will not pay.

As I said, we've got the worst aspects of both private and socialized medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes.

From Business Insider: "A central bank implements quantitative easing by buying financial assets from commercial banks and other private institutions, thus creating money and injecting a pre-determined quantity of money into the economy."
So, they are counteracting deflation?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!