Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2020, 02:06 AM   #131 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am just saying that just because a small country can do it does not mean that it would be as easy or efficient for a country as large as ours, but I keep seeing that even with higher taxes, it would be cheaper.

I am going to watch some other videos by them about the topic, but I wish that someone would give me the other side:
At the end, this Canadian asks us to not socialize our medicine because Canadians need the option of paying to receive timely health care.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2020, 02:07 AM   #132 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
JSH, were you discussing Quantitative Easing earlier?
Yes.

From Business Insider: "A central bank implements quantitative easing by buying financial assets from commercial banks and other private institutions, thus creating money and injecting a pre-determined quantity of money into the economy."
Old 03-29-2020, 02:26 AM   #133 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
I am going to watch some other videos by them about the topic, but I wish that someone would give me the other side:
At the end, this Canadian asks us to not socialize our medicine because Canadians need the option of paying to receive timely health care.

The best way to get the real scoop is to travel to the country and talk to everyday people. Doing that changed my opinion on a lot of things.

Another interest look I wouldn't recommend trying. About 10 years ago my wife and I were in a bad motorcycle accident while on vacation in southeast Europe and flew home on an air evacuation jet. It was interesting talking to the flight nurses about their flights. While they mostly fly tourists and business people home they also do a lot of business flying the super wealthy people out of the Middle East for treatment. People that pay for a $150,000 flight each way in cash. While she said some fly to the USA for treatment most of those flights were to Europe.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
I'd be extremely comfortable with him running the show.
I'd somewhat prefer he not have to.

We're seeing black and white pictures of JFK and Bobby and Bob Dylan just dropped one of the best three songs of his career.

genius.com/Bob-dylan-murder-most-foul-lyrics

Although, I find the fifth verse is overlong; prolly to stretch it out to 17 (I know!) minutes.

QE: If they can 'just print' two trillion dollars, why don't we 'just print' 20 trillion dollars and overpopulate the Solar System.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:29 AM   #135 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
I am just saying that just because a small country can do it does not mean that it would be as easy or efficient for a country as large as ours, but I keep seeing that even with higher taxes, it would be cheaper.

I think the matter can be explained at a high level pretty easily. Socialized medicine can be cheaper because the quality of the medicine is less. Lower quality medicine is still relatively good medicine for most people most of the time. In the US, providers are incentivzed to keep the patient going as long as they or a delegate chooses. Sometimes, rarely, that ends up producing positive results. In socialized medicine, there's no incentive (or perhaps negative) to administer heroic medicine for everyone.

Our system sucks because we can't leverage the advantages free markets generally convey. How many ERs did you research before deciding which one to visit? How did you find out about the ambulance that you ultimately decided to hire for your emergency ride to the hospital? What is the cost of a standard 15min office visit to your primary care provider (I promise you can't find that out even if you speak with billing directly). We subsidize medicine now by paying way more than it costs to receive a service so that it offsets the costs incurred for those that cannot or will not pay.

As I said, we've got the worst aspects of both private and socialized medicine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Yes.

From Business Insider: "A central bank implements quantitative easing by buying financial assets from commercial banks and other private institutions, thus creating money and injecting a pre-determined quantity of money into the economy."
So, they are counteracting deflation?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 03-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #136 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I watched five more videos. It seems like every time that someone gives the reason that American healthcare is so expensive they focus on one thing. Where can I get an unpaid intern and say "Watch videos about why American medicine is so expensive and make a list of reasons?"

They would probably come up with dozens of reasons.

As usual, the comments for each of those videos were cancer, but one gem was:
"Imagine every local grocer refusing to reveal the price of the bread unless you are done eating that bread. Welcome to US healthcare system."

So, yes, that is one problem, as you mentioned, you cannot research your care. When I was aging out of Dad's health insurance I went for a checkup. I went to a clinic in my system, but they sent my results to a lab that was not covered, and I was just lucky that that I did not see a doctor out of my network.

Prager has a video saying that we already have single-payer healthcare, the VA, and he spent a few minutes detailing how bad it is.

I do not hear great things about Medicare or Medicaid, either.

Can we just fix one of those and then expand or copy it?
Old 03-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #137 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
So, they are counteracting deflation?
They are trying to prevent a liquidity trap

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/l/liquiditytrap.asp

Which then leads to deflation. (See Japan in the 90's and 00's)

Trying to prevent a freeze in the repo market. (Repurchase-agreement operations) These are the very short term loans banks and other institutions make to each other to balance their accounts on a daily basis.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/r...eagreement.asp
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 03:05 AM   #138 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
The numbers vary, but the point is that each time that you increase the size, you need someone even better paid.
The number is seven.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDG
What is the optimal group size for decision-making ...
https://sheilamargolis.com/2011/01/w...cision-making/
Optimal group size study: Hackman and Vidmar. Research by Hackman and Vidmar (1970) on optimum group size for member satisfaction showed a similar outcome. They composed groups that ranged in size from 2-7 members to assess the impact of size on group process and performance for various kinds of tasks.

Rule of 7: The Ideal Work Group Size - CBS News
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/rule-of...rk-group-size/
Rule of 7: The Ideal Work Group Size. By Sean Silverthorne ... Once you've got 7 people in a group, each additional member reduces decision effectiveness by 10%, say the authors, Marcia W. Blenko ...
As for fixing health care I have no idea.

https://whitebirdclinic.org/
Since 1970
Our Mission
White Bird is a collective environment organized to enable people to gain control of their social, emotional and physical well-being through direct service, education and community.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:02 AM   #139 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
I stand corrected and retract my earlier statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Socialized medicine can be cheaper because the quality of the medicine is less. Lower quality medicine is still relatively good medicine for most people most of the time...

Our system sucks because we can't leverage the advantages free markets generally convey. How many ERs did you research before deciding which one to visit? How did you find out about the ambulance that you ultimately decided to hire for your emergency ride to the hospital?

As I said, we've got the worst aspects of both private and socialized medicine.
-That's where socialized medicine shines- the best theoretical outcome isn't going to be widely available, but more people can get to see a doctor and get perscriptions no matter what their job is.

-The biggest suck in our system is that your choices are limited by the 3 or 4 plans your employer chooses to offer. And if you don't have an employer or have one but it's a crappy job...

-You're dead right on that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 AM   #140 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Yep, been saying the single easiest and best move would be to decouple health insurance from the employer. The group policy has a few options, but I'm not a group, and I may not work at the same place the rest of my life.

If employers wanted to contribute to health insurance, it should go into a special account that can only be utilized for paying a health insurance premium. Still don't like that it would essentially tie health insurance to a particular place of employment.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-29-2020), Fat Charlie (03-29-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread