View Single Post
Old 04-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Is it more efficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I don't think Alex thinks of such things much, just like most people.

The average occupancy is closer to 2 persons than to 1 (1.7 occupants is the US average).

Is it more efficient to purchase both a 1-person vehicle and a 5 passenger vehicle for those times when multiple occupants are present, or simply purchase the 5 passenger? Which strategy would be cheaper considering registration, taxes, insurance...

Most people don't dream of owning things that have less utility.
The question is so conditional,contextual,a proper answer would have to address all possible conditions.
*If the average occupancy is 1.7-persons,then the average automobile would offer seating for two.
*If on occasion,seating for five was a requirement,then five seats is the solution.
*If discretionary income is not an issue,then the motorist would own both,achieving 100% utility each time the specific vehicle were operated.At zero economic discomfort.
*If an individual is existing hand to mouth,then there is a far different calculus involved.
*Any society which allows suburban development,without providing for mass transit,forcing residents into personal transportation units,would,on the surface,have failed the very society they're entrusted to serve,tax,fee,lien,seize, or expulse.
*Any government who's pension fund profits from the suffering of its most vulnerable citizens would by any metric be recognized as a pariah.
*If we the people have a say in what taxes, registration,and insurance cost,then whether owning more than one vehicle becomes a liability or not is a reflection upon us and our priorities.
*I don't dream about vehicles.Madison Avenue might be disappointed,I've no control over that.
*I have pondered personal transportation since 1973.The Volkswagen XL1 is the closest I've seen to a 'rational' vehicle,however,somewhere along the way,Volkswagen lost their moral/ethical compass,never having seriously considered producing an 'attainable' vehicle which might cover the needs of most drivers on most days,at a reasonable net profit.
*We might want to resolve the issue of whether driving is an entitlement or a privilege.
*If it's an entitlement,then a national car company,spitting out safe,affordable transportation units,which don't change over time,can be serviced anywhere,with universal parts availability,in all fifty states,within the means of anyone living on minimum wage would be a good move.No dealership.Buy them at the grocery store.
*This topic could easily become a book.