View Single Post
Old 04-04-2020, 06:32 PM   #32 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
spats and fender skirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
As for the sides, even a tiny spat at the top of the wheel arch is going to give most of the benefit, since that's where the tire is moving most rapidly against the wind.
Perhaps I am being picky about terms but I would like to see some consensus on what we are calling spats and what we are calling skirts. I was under the impression that spats are the little plastic rectangles that most car makers are using in front of the tires, like the white spats we wore to cover the front of our black shoes in marching band (or the massive ones on the green Jetta).

In the 50s, fender skirts came down over the top of the rear tire. In the 90s we got side skirts that lowered the rocker panels between the front and rear tires.

OP- I think you will have to go full Basjoos on this to significantly decrease your Cd. I have found air dams all get ripped off sooner or later. I am using a full belly pan with diffuser, inner and outer side skirts and small spats in front of the tires. All have stayed on winter and summer and have greatly increased coasting distances and mpg in my experience. A full boat tail is too hard to live with day to day for me and has not been done yet on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 04-07-2020 at 10:01 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to COcyclist For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-10-2020), Daschicken (04-05-2020)